italian
Ciao a tutti

Devo tradurre in inglese la frase "hai visto in sala? è venuto anche stasera!"
contesto: due attrici di teatro parlano di uno spettatore

Non so proprio come tradurlo

Grazie

• ElFrikiChino

Italian (Mantova)
    E' un po' diverso, ma a me sembra più naturale. Aspettiamo comunque qualche madrelingua
    Have you seen the audience? He's here again tonight!

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    Ciao a tutti,

devo tradurre "sala" inteso come theatre hall, ovvero il luogo dove il pubblico si siede. Mi serve da inserire in alcuni pass per uno spettacolo per identificare in quale area del teatro il portatore del pass ha accesso. Ci sarà quindi chi ha accesso alla sola "sala" e chi avrà accesso al backstage, chi avrà accesso a sala e backstage eccetera.

In questo caso, come indico "sala" in inglese? solo con "hall"? con "theatre hall"? Oppure c'è un termine migliore?

Grazie a tutti

Holymaloney

English (UK) / Italian - bilingual
    Ciao Gigi :D
    Potrebbe funzionare auditorium ? Questo termine (latino) si riferisce all'area dove la gente si "riuniva" ad ascoltare/vedere lo spettacolo ma non so se può andare bene nel tuo contesto :(

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    Ciao Holy!

Mmmm, non è così aulico il contesto e non so cosa si scrive nei pass di solito in questo contesto. Se serve sapere il tipo di spettacolo, è un evento teatrale in cui ci sono dei musicisti che suonano dal vivo delle musiche di Piazzolla e dei ballerini che ballano tango.

Holymaloney

English (UK) / Italian - bilingual
    Ho capito (anche se ho dovuto cercare aulico nel dizionario:oops:). Forse allora seating area ? Sul pass puoi scrivere access to seating area only . Still non convinced though....mumble.....mumble.......

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    Well, at present I have: access to backstage - control room - all areas; the one I miss is the ......whatchamacallit..... (....."seating area / auditorium" or platea if you wanna another way of saying it in Italian (the theatre has just the platea, no peanut gallery there)

Fooler

Italian (Italy)
    Ciao gigi,

In rete trovo anche house (or AUDITORIUM the part of the theatre accommodating the audience during the performance. Sometimes known as the "house").

Oppure stall area ma qui si riferisce ai primi posti fronte palcoscenico. In alternativa Wiki aiuta (vedi punto 1.2)

Last edited:
    The "house" is the area of a theatre where the audience sits, not the playing area or "backstage".

La Repubblica dictionary gives "sala...(di teatri e simili) house, auditorium".

Last edited:

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    So, house or auditorium seem to be the words among which I have to choose.....I think I'll go for auditorium.

By the way: is "theatre hall" wrong?

Thanks

"Theatre hall" is not an expression I have heard.
    We have "house" in another related expression: "not a dry eye in the house" - used to mean that the people in a particular place are very emotional and many are crying. (Presumably an extension of the theatre audience being affected by the performance).

metazoan

US English
    @Holymaloney's "seating area" is the most clear, or you could simply say that the one pass holder has "access to a seat", while the other has "a seat and a backstage pass". ("Backstage pass" is the common set phrase.)

elfa

English
    Well, fellows, Wikipedia suggests "parterre", maybe this could be a good choice.

I've just about heard of "parterre" but I couldn't have told you it had anything to do with a theatre...

I would go with "auditorium". The problem with "seat" or "seating area" is it sounds as if the person only has access to his or her seat and then has to stay there, whereas presumably the idea is that he or she can wander freely round the auditorium. How about

Admission to auditorium
    Admission to auditorium and backstage

to distinguish the two?

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    Well,

This kind of pass is intended for VIPs, so they have, basically. access to the auditorium for free (no backstage access for them), in a dedicated area which is the closest to the stage. It's another way for giving them a free ticket and to let them know that are important.....kind of marketing strategy

elfa

English
    This kind of pass is intended for VIPs, so they have, basically. access to the auditorium for free (no backstage access for them), in a dedicated area which is the closest to the stage. It's another way for giving them a free ticket and to let them know that are important.....kind of marketing strategy
    In that case, I wouldn't use "pass" as to my mind this usually refers to people who have paid for a ticket but get a kind of free extra. How about

Complimentary theatre admission [with exclusive access to private VIP area]?

Or is that too wordy?

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    Or is that too wordy?

Yes it is, sorry about that.
    I mean, I have to put this on a "tag" that has to be given to the person and shown to the security at the entrance of the venue; it's slightly bigger than a conventional theatre ticket but not big enough.....

I've never been a vip so I have no clue on what is written in such a complimentary ticket. I'll try to find something along the line, such as "free VIP theatre admission".

Thanks a lot!