salary / wage / fee / pay

Mr.Blue

Australia / English
Hi forum ,

I'm confused about these words ( salary / wage / fee / pay ) I would really like to know the difference between them even if it was a little nuance, could anyone explain it ? i would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

• QBU

France, French
    salary: paid periodically (weekly or monthly)
    wage: rate of pay (so much / hr)
    fee: what one pays out to get something done. A sollicitor fee.
    pay or is it not paycheck?: what one receives. What's left from the salary after one has paid his taxes, for instance.
    I am not certain, though and wait for a native speaker's opinion.
    Catherine

Le Pamplemousse

USA, English
    You've pretty much got it, QBU. One might (in AE, anyway), say "pay" refer to their salary or wage, but it's not that common.

"I just got a new job."
    "How's the pay?"
    "Pretty good. I get $14 an hour."

Mr.Blue

Australia / English
    I still find it confussing to distinguish the meaning of salary and wage, could anyone explain it in a sentence please, it would be easier to understand. ( Thanks )

Le Pamplemousse

USA, English
    Wage is the rate of pay someone receives if they are being paid by the hour (typically lower-tier jobs). Salary is what someone receives as a fixed rate per month or year no matter how many hours a week they work (typically higher-tier jobs).

adremd

USA
    Mr. blue, maybe it's an Australian phenomenon but they are distinct concepts at least in my neck of the woods. Salary $15,000 a year. Wage 15.00/hr. Maybe there's an overlap in Australia. I wouldn't know though since I've never been there.

Mr.Blue

Australia / English
    indeed there is an overlap, I asked my friend formerly about the difference but he couldn't tell, I'm not sure that others can tell either , I think it depends on the person itself.

Thanks for your contribution.

Mr.Blue

Australia / English
    So, can we use "pay" as a synonym to salary or wage ? if not ( in both cases ) can you tell me the specific meaning of "pay" ? is it the same meaning which OBQ mentioned but not confirmed (( pay or paycheck (?) : What's left from the salary after one has paid his taxes, for instance. )) ?

adremd

USA
    Mr.Blue said:
    So, can we use "pay" as a synonym to salary or wage ? if not ( in both cases ) can you tell me the specific meaning of "pay" ? is it the same meaning which OBQ mentioned but not confirmed (( pay or paycheck (?) : What's left from the salary after one has paid his taxes, for instance. )) ?
    pay -- If I said to someone, What's your pay? (Well, I would actually say, how much are you getting paid?), s/he would respond with something like 15.00/hour or 30,000/yr. Depends on the context and what type of job s/he has. If he works in a supermarket or at the mall, I'm definitely not expecting him to say $45,000/yr and vice versa. lol. What's left after salary - tax = income (how much bread ur bringing home). That's the why I'm used to it being used. Australia is another story that I don't know anything about. Hope this helps.

Jumble

USA
    • Congress is currently considering raising the minimum wage by $1.50.
    • The average teacher salary in the 2003-04 school year was $46,597.
    • The Graduate School Application Fee is $165.
    • We can't afford the lawyer's fees.
    • Bolivian president gives teachers half his pay.
    • A top executive takes a $1 salary, opting to base his pay on the performance of the company's stock, and thus the company itself.
    I hope these examples are helpful.

Brioche

Australia English
    Mr.Blue said:
    Hi forum ,

I'm confused about these words ( salary / wage / fee / pay ) I would really like to know the difference between them even if it was a little nuance, could anyone explain it ? i would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

In Australia, salary is quoted as a yearly amount.
    Advertisements in newspapers, on-line &c for salaried positions give the yearly amount.
    Some examples from a local newspaper.
    Receptionist $35K, (means $35,000)
    Court Reporter: Level 2 $49,584 - $51,874
    Stormwater Engineer: $55,944 - $61,944 p.a.

Salaries are usually paid fortnightly. (BE: every two weeks)

Being paid a salary does not necessarily preclude over-time payments for extra work.

Wages are usually quoted at so much per hour, and paid weekly.

Fee usually usually means the money asked for by professionals. Doctor's Fee. Accountants' Fees.
    also used for School Fees.

Pay can mean either wage or salary.
    The pay here at NatWest is really good. I take home twice as much as I did at Barclays.