saltish vs salty

< Previous | Next >

One Heart

Egyptian Arabic
I am not sure about the difference between the two words.
I think that saltish means something like 'I want to eat something that is not sweet' whereas salty means that the food contains excessive amount of salt?

Would you please help me with this?

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I don't believe I've ever seen saltish before.

I don't think salty means excessively salty - in fact now that I've written that, I know it doesn't :) Otherwise Goldilocks would not have said of Daddy Bear's porridge that it was "too salty" - which implies that there is an acceptable degree of saltiness.

Copyright

American English
    Saltish is a pretty rare word that Webster's defines as "somewhat salty." So it has nothing to do with one's dietary desires.

-mack-

American English
    I'm not sure I've ever heard of the word "saltish."

Salty just means it contains or tastes like salty.
    I would honestly always use the word "salty." It doesn't imply excessive salt, just that it tastes like salt.

Person 1: "I want to eat something salty."
    Person 2: "You should go get a bag of potato chips from the vending machine."

Saltish just sounds very awkward to me... it might be a real word, but I've definitely never heard it before.

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Salty means something that contains or is seasoned with salt. Saltish means that it's smilar in taste to salty, but is not equal to a salty taste.

Have a look at the entry for the suffix -ish:

1. Characteristic of: girlish.
      2. Having the usually undesirable qualities of: childish.
    1. Approximately; somewhat: greenish
    Source: answers.com

-ty suffix means that something has a quality of X, in this case of salt.

Copyright

American English
    I'd like to know more about "Saltish means that it's similar in taste to salty, but is not equal to a salty taste," since I find that a little baffling. :) Between Webster and your second definition for "-ish," I would go with "somewhat salty."

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    I'd like to know more about "Saltish means that it's similar in taste to salty, but is not equal to a salty taste," since I find that a little baffling. :) Between Webster and your second definition for "-ish," I would go with "somewhat salty."
    About two weeks ago, I bought salty sticks, I usually buy at a supermarket, that came with a free pack of salty sticks for children. I ate my custom salty sticks, they were indeed salty. A few days after, I opened the pack of sticks for children. They were similar in taste to the previous but not equal to their salty taste. If 'saltish' is not the word that could be used to describe the salty sticks for children, which one would you suggest please? :)
    (I found my usual ones better. :D)

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I would just say "not as salty" or "less salty" or "slightly salty". I've never heard "saltish".

< Previous | Next >