salty/salted peanuts

arueng

CHINESE
Dad always eats salted peanuts while watching baseball games.

Hi,

Is it the same to say "salty peanuts" instead of "salted peanuts" in the above? Thanks.

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    Not really. The peanuts have been "salted" during their production and that is how they are usually referred to - although they will of course taste "salty."

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I agree with Rover - salted peanuts are what your father eats - he does not eat salty peanuts. Everyone calls them salted peanuts and nothing else.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Peanuts are not naturally salty; they are, as Franco-Filly says, salted during processing. We always refer to them as salted peanuts. (One can also buy packaged but unsalted peanuts, although they're not available everywhere.)

pob14

American English
    I've never heard them called "salt peanuts." I always thought that "salt" was an imperative verb in that song; "[You need to] salt [these] peanuts." It's hard to tell, though, because the lyrics to the song are just those two words!

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I've never heard them called "salt peanuts." I always thought that "salt" was an imperative verb in that song; "[You need to] salt [these] peanuts." It's hard to tell, though, because the lyrics to the song are just those two words!
    No, some people really do call them "salt peanuts":
    It’s that or locked in a floating room for four days, eating salt peanuts and candy bars.
    http://thelosangelesbeat.com/2011/06/which-of-these-music-festivals-would-you-go-to-if-you-had-a-gun-to-your-head/

But as we rode onto Alta Plaza it appeared above us. Soon I was eating salt peanuts, listening to "Now's the Time" again and viewing Hale Bopp with my binoculars which I shared with others.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=iVpHsLMgiCcC&pg=PA135&lpg=PA135&dq="eating+salt+peanuts"&source=bl&ots=Sp2F94PJba&sig=auAlb683Ld9AHTCdOF_GMuKWWTs&hl=en#v=onepage&q="eating salt peanuts"&f=false

Mart and Roscoe LaSource, his elbows propped up on a polished mahogany bar and a dish of salt peanuts within easy reach.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=m4whfzdmJCAC&pg=PT90&lpg=PT90&dq="dish+of+salt+peanuts"&source=bl&ots=H0jL3ZBmzE&sig=8E0k9H2vNCH9dkCBsPA_MKNB-ZQ&hl=en#v=onepage&q="dish of salt peanuts"&f=false

mr cat

English - England
    Salty peanuts is a non-standard collocation which you are highly unlikely to hear from native speakers.

I would advise you to forget it.

Rover
    It's what I call them, or even salty nuts, (but maybe that's why I get a funny look from the barmaid:eek:)

Marco PCA

Spanish - Mexico
    Hi there, I've read the thread and I'm just wondering if you say "My food is salty" or "My food is salted" to mean someone added too much salt in the food during the preparation. I don't quite understand the difference between salty and salted.

Thank you.

MarcB

US English
    Hi Marco, English as in any widespread language has many variations. When I say salty as in this food tastes salty I mean there is too much salt. Something that is salted means salt is added. When something is salted depending on how much salt is added can be just right,too much and not enough. Taste varies from person to person. It is both possible and likely that three different people could each say one of the aforementioned tastes. To recap salted does not talk about the degree of salt added,salty for some people can mean too much. To eliminate ambiguity some say too salty. As I said above too salty is relative to the person speaking.

Marco PCA

Spanish - Mexico
    Thank you very much for your help @MarcB. I'm afraid I don't quite understand when to use salty and salted. Does salted mean that you added salt on purpose and salty means the degree of salt as in "too salty"?

MarcB

US English
    Salted= salt is added on purpose, regardless of how much. Salty= can be too much. Too salty= too much.The example of peanuts they are salted to improve the taste. Unsalted is for those who do not want salt whether for taste or health.
    So as I said salty can mean too much but too salty makes it clear that it is too much.

< Previous | Next >