salubrious pastries

< Previous | Next >

Sidjanga

German;southern tendencies
Hi all,

I've been helping my sister translate the following little text, and we would highly appreciate if you could give us your opinion on the result, as it is a little bit special. ;)

Originally, gingerbread was distributed as a remedy, because it was supposed to contain vitalising energy.

With these salubrious pastries we associate the best wishes for a peaceful Christmas and a happy New Year.

Is remedy well used here? Is there a better word?
Does vitalising energy sound good to you?
Is salubrious ok here?

The Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary says:
salubrious
adjective FORMAL
describes a place that is pleasant, clean, and healthy to live in

[which does not sound like food to me]

I appreciate any other suggestions.

Cheers,
S.

• Trisia

Romanian
    Hi :)

I definitely wouldn't use "salubrious"--makes me think of a restaurant kitchen-an insalubrious one, full of cockroaches and rats.

Jokes aside, what do you mean? Could healthful fit?

I'm more used to "revitalising energy" :p I don't know why.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    A popular trend in marketing is to create compound words with "health": health-smart, health-friendly, health-conscious...

Healthful is the right word, but it might sound odd to some people, who are more familiar with the widespread use of "healthy" to mean healthful. See this thread: Healthy vs Healthful

Sidjanga

German;southern tendencies
    Thanks very much to everyone!

Yes, I think that wholesome is just perfect in this context.
    The meaning of the German word they put there is something between healthful and (re)vitalising. ;)
    And so whole in wholesome sound just perfect to me. (salubrious appeared in LEO...).

Many thanks for the link to healthful/healthy. Very interesting!

Cheers,
    S.

< Previous | Next >