same (amount of) money

< Previous | Next >

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
Hi, native speakers of English!

I was wondering if "same" can be followed immediately by "wealth" in the following sentence or if, on the contrary, "same amount of" is the only grammatically correct alternative:

85 people possess the same (amount of) wealth as the planet's poorest half.

Thank you in advance.

• Oeco

English - US
    I guess I would put it, "Eighty-five of the wealthiest people in the world possess wealth equal to the planet's poorest half."

But there is nothing formally wrong with what you wrote.

Last edited:

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
    Thank you, Oeco.

Do you mean that "same wealth" is grammatically correct? No need to add "same amount of wealth"?

Myridon

English - US
    I would use "amount of." The wealthy and the poor do not own the same money (or land or stock or artworks or ...).

sdgraham

USA English
    I would not use "same wealth" and neither would I use "wealth" in connection with poor people.

It would not be natural, for example, to say "as rich as" when referring to poor people.

"Same wealth" is grammatically correct, but there are an infinite number of grammatically correct statements that are ill-advised.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "Amount of" has to be included because "wealth" is uncountable and 'amount of' <uncountable noun> is countable.

Compare with

85 people possess the same house as the planet's poorest half. <- This sounds like they all share one house,
    but if we say:
    85 people possess the same type of house as the planet's poorest half. <- This is clear.

< Previous | Next >