samples distribute / samples are distributed

hanches

Chinese
In investigation report, I know a phrase that "sampling distribution",but is ""samples distribute somewhere" or "samples are distributed somewhere" right?
For example, we sample people from London and Paris for investigation.So we will say "Samples distribute in London and Paris" or "Samples are distributed in London and Paris"?
Thank you! :)

Last edited:
  • JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Welcome hanches.
    You will need to give us a complete sentence where you would like to use the phrase and some explanation of what you want it to mean. You should also give us a bit more context, such as the sentences before or after it if they will help explain your concern.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    That helps - but only a little :(.

What do you mean by "We sample people from London"? Do you you take a bit of their blood or DNA or ask their opinions on some questions in a survey, for example?

Then, what do you mean by "distributed" - entering the word in the search box at the top will take you to the definition of "distribute". You can see why we need more context to understand our question!

hanches

Chinese
    I mean "ask their opinions on some questions in a survey", but I fail to organize my words…Would you please give me an example?
    As to the "distribute", Since there is a phrase "sampling distribution" in statistics, so I think "distribute" is the right word to convey this meaning. Maybe it takes the explication that "3.(often passive) to spread throughout a space or area"?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I think your statistics example is confusing the issue.
    Does the following sentence convey the meaning you need?
    "We obtained (sampled) opinions from people in London and Paris."

< Previous | Next >