sancionados

mirandolina

Scotland - English
I have to translate a certificate from Spanish into English.
This certificate is issued by the "Registro Central de Sancionados", it's a statement that the person concerned has no criminal record.

I'm not sure about the translation of "Sancionados".

What would you call this Registro:
Central Criminal Records Register?

The certificate is called
Certificacion de Antecedentes Penales.

Any suggestions appreciated..... :)

• lauranazario

Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    mirandolina said:
    I have to translate a certificate from Spanish into English.
    This certificate is issued by the "Registro Central de Sancionados", it's a statement that the person concerned has no criminal record.

I'm not sure about the translation of "Sancionados".

What would you call this Registro:
    Central Criminal Records Register?

The certificate is called
    Certificacion de Antecedentes Penales.

Any suggestions appreciated..... :)

I would modify it to "Criminal Records Registry Headquarters", even though our local version does not have the word sancionados anywhere in its title. Let's wait for other suggestions.

In the meantime, I'm going to transfer this inquiry to the Specialized Terminology Forum.

Saludos,
    LN

mirandolina

Scotland - English
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    The document comes from Cuba.

lauranazario said:
    I would modify it to "Criminal Records Registry Headquarters", even though our local version does not have the word sancionados anywhere in its title. Let's wait for other suggestions.

In the meantime, I'm going to transfer this inquiry to the Specialized Terminology Forum.

Saludos,
    LN

palomdra

Spanish
    Las veces que yo he traducido certificados de penales he usado lo de National Criminal Records Registry, porque sólo almacenan los delitos, y porque es algo equiparable, de alguna manera, con el Registro Civil. En España es el Registro Central de Penados y Rebeldes, en el Ministerio de Justicia, el que se encarga de estos certificados.

palomdra

Spanish
    Sorry! I've just realized I have written in Spanish! Well, I was saying that I usually use Criminal Records Registry, as I think the term suits the idea perfecty, and keeps a parallelism with the Civil Registry in Spain. The department responsible for these certificates in Spain is the Registro Central de Penados y Rebeldes, dependant on the Justice Ministry.

mirandolina

Scotland - English
    Thanks both of you! I handed the job in this morning using "Headquarters" as suggested by Laura, but I'll remember the other version too for future use.
    I very rarely have translations from Spanish into English, mostly from Italian and occasionally French. :)