sang lewd camp tunes, then stalwart hymns

< Previous | Next >

Lunaya

French
Hi!

Still on "the antelope wife"... A father is alone in the forest with his baby and , as she begins crying, he tries cheering her up:

"Scranton Roy cradled the baby, sang lewd camp tunes, then stalwart hymns, and at last remembered his own mother's lullabies"

I can't figure out what "camp tune" is : does it refer to the kind of tune you sing around a fire during a night outside, or somehing more specific?

As to "stalwart", would it be a synonym of "patriotic" here?

Thanks in advance
lunaya

• sdgraham

USA English
    I can't figure out what "camp tune" is : does it refer to the kind of tune you sing around a fire during a night outside, or something more specific?
    In the U.S., youngsters often go to "summer camp" during the summer school holidays. This is especially appropriate for urban youths who spend the rest of the year on and among concrete.

At "summer camp," youngsters learn about the out-of-doors, swim, hike and, typically, sit around the campfire at night, often singing songs.

Thus we have "camp tunes," although presumably the impressionable youth are not taught the bawdy versions that many of us learned later in life, often while serving in the military.

It's also possible your reference might be to military encampments rather than "summer camp."

Lunaya

French
    thank you!
    I think I tend to prefer the idea of a military camp, because the word "stalwart" just after would be quite suitable to this context.

Robañero

American English
    "Stalwart" here simply means religious hymns that have been popular for a long time and are commonly known by many people...Patriotism or military strength have nothing to do with it. "Good old stand-bys" would be another way to describe them.

Onward, Christian Soldiers comes to mind...

I feel strongly camp tunes here means summer camp campfire songs we all learned as kids...the writer is just trying to think of things to sing that he can remember the words to.

Last edited:

Lunaya

French
    well, I would never have found that one! thanks a lot!

"Stalwart" here simply means religious hymns that have been popular for a long time and are commonly known by many people...Patriotism has nothing to do with it. "Good old stand-bys" would be another way to describe them.

Onward, Christian Soldiers comes to mind...

< Previous | Next >