Grumumble

Scotland, English
The summer holidays were great but now it's back to work, and those translation problems just keep turning up!
Can anyone help with this:
La balise peut être située en position latérale de la voie de passage, à toute hauteur comprise entre 4 mètres et 5 mètres, sans aucune emprise sur la chaussée.

I have begun,
The beacon can be placed side(ways?) on to the vehicle lane (?), at any height between 4 and 5 metres...

provided there are no obstacles between it and the vehicle?
with nothing obstructing it from the vehicle?

or have I totally misinterpreted?
all suggestions welcome

• Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I'd think voie de passage is just a more general term for "road" and the second expression indicates that it does not reach the surface of the road/ is not fixed to it/ it is above it without touching the ground.

Last edited:

sound shift

English - England
    I think you have got it right in essence, Grumumble.

I am not absolutely sure, but I reckon this means

"The beacon can be positioned alongside the vehicle lane, at any height between four and five metres, without encroaching on the roadway."

broglet

English - England
    The summer holidays were great but now it's back to work, and those translation problems just keep turning up!
    Can anyone help with this:
    La balise peut être située en position latérale de la voie de passage, à toute hauteur comprise entre 4 mètres et 5 mètres, sans aucune emprise sur la chaussée.

I have begun,
    The beacon can be placed side(ways?) on to the vehicle lane (?), at any height between 4 and 5 metres...

provided there are no obstacles between it and the vehicle?
    with nothing obstructing it from the vehicle?

or have I totally misinterpreted?
    all suggestions welcome

I assume this is some kind of warning light on a driveway

'The light can be placed alongside the driveway, between four and five metres from the ground, without obstructing ... ' (la chaussée could be the drive itself, or another road)

Last edited:

Teafrog

UK English (& rusty French…)
    I suggest:
    The beacon can be placed laterally to the thoroughfare at any height between 4 and 5 metres, without impinging on the road

Grumumble

Scotland, English
    I assume this is some kind of warning light on a driveway

Sorry, I didn't explain, it's actually a beacon for detecting On Board Units that let drivers go through Toll Collection Booths without having to stop, wind down the window and make some sort of payment.

I like the suggestions of encroach and impinge...

broglet

English - England
    Sorry, I didn't explain, it's actually a beacon for detecting On Board Units that let drivers go through Toll Collection Booths without having to stop, wind down the window and make some sort of payment.

I like the suggestions of encroach and impinge...
    Ah - it's télépéage! Why didn't you say? If it's a 'black box' detector unit I don't think beacon is quite the right word (although it is often how balise is translated). A beacon is usually something whose purpose is to shine, flash or in some other way make its presence and/or position known.

Last edited: