sanskrit: अमोघत्वाद्विधेश्चैव

MindBoggle

Danish. English from childhood
Hi guys! :)

From the Āranyakaparvan:

अमोघत्वाद्विधेश्चैव भावित्वाद्दैवनिर्मितात् (etc).

I think this must be:

अमोघत्वाद् विधेश् च एव भावित्वाद् दैव-निर्मितात्

My translation:

And from the unfailing-ness of fate itself (which is to say) from the fate-constructed inevitable-ness (etc.)

This seems to say the same thing twice. Is that correct or is there a nuance or a simile or something I'm not quite getting?

Any opinions?
MindBoggle
:)

• MindBoggle

Hmmm.... Maybe my 'and' is in the wrong place and maybe the first fate is something else. Maybe it should be:

From the unfailing-ness of that very condition [pregnancy] AND from the fate-ordained inevitable-ness [of the matter],
    (in the hind arose his son (who became) a great sage).
    - is the continuation.

Looks right now.
    I think. :p

Dib

Bengali (India)
    I think the first interpretation is closer, because of the placement of the "ca". For the second interpretation you'll need a "ca" in the second hemistich.

MindBoggle

I think the first interpretation is closer, because of the placement of the "ca". For the second interpretation you'll need a "ca" in the second hemistich.

Ok. :)
    We discussed it in class today and nobody feels sure about how to interpret this passage. How about this:
    A few verses earlier the text describes Vibhāṇḍakas manhood as unfailing (amogha - same word as here). Isn't it natural, then, to assume that this is what is being alluded to? If so we may translate:

- and from the unfailing-ness of that very doing [i.e. the emission of Vibhāṇḍakas 'unfailing' semen into the water], (that is) from fate-ordained inevitableness , his son, Ṛśyaśṛinga,... (etc.)

- or maybe even:

- and from the unfailing-ness of that very doing, as it had been foretold (by devas i.e. soothsayers), his son, Ṛśyaśṛinga,... (etc.)

To me this feels right. What is your opinion, Dib?

MindBoggle

Last edited:

Dib

Bengali (India)
    hm. Unfortunately, I don't think, I can help you much here. Because of the lack of punctuation, it can be analyzed in different ways. Things are made further interesting by the rather nebulous word - "vidhi" (in its non-technical usage). However, since there isn't too much of a difference in the actual implication, there is hardly any way to favour one over the others in terms of contextual appropriateness, I guess. It is a good observation though that the word "amogha" has been used in the narration immediately before, and thus may have some contextual referencing.

One way of solving the problem of "ca" placement can be to take "vidheḥ" as ablative as well. So, you may want to read "अमोघत्वाद्विधेश्चैव" as "because of the unfailingness (of the semen) as well as the destiny" and end the sentence there. Then you can assume the next sentence start from the next hemistich. So, you can translate: "With the water, the thirsty (deer) got pregnant because of the unfailingness (of the semen), as well as because of (her) destiny. Because what will happen is ordained by the gods, his son, the great sage, was born of that deer."

This is just a suggestion, not necessarily better than any of yours. Just to chip in with my two cents.