Sanskrit: चाजहुः

MindBoggle

Danish. English from childhood
Hello guys! :)

My book has:

सर्वे जना राक्षसादबिभयुर्ग्रामं चाजहुः ।

I can't figure out the last word. I suspect it may be च अजहुः but I can't find अजहुः, and the word looks strange. I'm expecting a finite verb, but it doesn't look like one.

Translating without the last word, I get: All the people feared Rakshasa, the village चाजहुः

Can anybody solve the mystery?

Best regards,
MindBoggle

• Dib

Bengali (India)
    Hi, as always, great job. You have almost solved the "mystery" yourself! You have all the ingredients:
    The form: अजहुः :tick:
    The part of speech: finite verb :tick:

As the last push over the edge, I'll tell you - it is totally parallel to the finite verb in the first part of the sentence: अबिभयुः ... same Class III (ह्वादिगण) imperfect 3rd plural active. If you still have doubts ... the root is हा (ज‌हाति) - to renounce, give up. Highlight the blank-space to see it. It's a common verb. You'll do good to remember it for future.

Last edited:

MindBoggle

Hi, as always, great job. You have almost solved the "mystery" yourself! You have all the ingredients:
    The form: अजहुः :tick:
    The part of speech: finite verb :tick:

As the last push over the edge, I'll tell you - it is totally parallel to the finite verb in the first part of the sentence: अबिभयुः ... same Class III (ह्वादिगण) imperfect 3rd plural active. If you still have doubts ... the root is हा (ज‌हाति) - to renounce, give up. Highlight the blank-space to see it. It's a common verb. You'll do good to remember it for future.

Thanks a lot, Dib, that was a great tip, and I managed to solve it without peeking in the blank space (I first thought the form might come from hu, but looking it up it didn't fit, and so I thought again - and finally I got the right idea)! :D

3rd impf plur looks really weird in this conjugation. :eek:

- and the translation, of course, should be:

All the people feared Rakshasa, and left the village.

:)

Thanks a million!
    MindBoggle

Dib

Bengali (India)
    Thanks a lot, Dib, that was a great tip

Happy to help! :)

I managed to solve it without peeking in the blank space

Awesome! Congratulations!

3rd impf plur looks really weird in this conjugation. :eek:

I think it is a contamination of the perfect ending, probably facilitated by the fact that the class III stem and the perfect stem are more or less identical - same reduplication.

- and the translation, of course, should be:

All the people feared Rakshasa, and left the village.

:tick:
    But I wonder why you treat Rakshasa as a proper noun, rather than the common name for our normal neighbourhood man-eating demon, we are all familiar with.

MindBoggle

I think it is a contamination of the perfect ending, probably facilitated by the fact that the class III stem and the perfect stem are more or less identical - same reduplication.

Yes, that sounds likely.

But I wonder why you treat Rakshasa as a proper noun, rather than the common name for our normal neighbourhood man-eating demon, we are all familiar with.

:D :cool: