sanskrit: दातु

MindBoggle

Danish. English from childhood
Hello again! :)

My book has:

ईश्वरोऽज्ञानं मे दातु ज्ञानं च मे ददातु ।

I don't understand the form दातु. If it was ददातु in stead it would be easy (if a bit odd): "Let the Lord give me ignorance and wisdom." But what is दातु? It doesn't look like a [finite] form of दा, but it might be some nominalization? Looking it up, I get 'share' (and similar meanings).

Alright: "The Lord, ignorance my lot, wisdom and to me let-Him-give", which is to say: "ignorance my lot, let the Lord give me wisdom."

It makes sense, but I still have the feeling that something is wrong.

What do you all think?

Regards,
MindBoggle

• Au101

England, English (UK)
    You're very unfortunate because this seems to me to be quite a nasty sentence.

Here's my guess. I'm sure my good friends Dib and Marrish will correct me if I'm wrong.

There's a root दो do- which Monier-Williams tells me is class 2 (and also class 4) and he gives the 3 sg, pres, act as दाति dāti, which would make दातु dātu the 3 sg, imp, act of that verb.

दो do- means, apparently, "to cut, divide, reap, mow" and I think this might be the verb you're looking for here. Something like "May the lord cut down my ignorance and give me knowledge."

MindBoggle

Danish. English from childhood
    There's a root दो do- which Monier-Williams tells me is class 2 (and also class 4) and he gives the 3 sg, pres, act as दाति dāti, which would make दातु dātu the 3 sg, imp, act of that verb.

दो do- means, apparently, "to cut, divide, reap, mow" and I think this might be the verb you're looking for here. Something like "May the lord cut down my ignorance and give me knowledge."

Of course. Thanks a lot. :)

Dib

Bengali (India)
    Yes, I agree with Au101 on both counts - his/her explanation and the statement that it is a nasty sentence. I would have to do some dictionary digging before I could solve this. I only remembered the -ya- forms for do > dyati, so > syati, sho > shyati. Of these, I feel, only ava-so is reasonablly common in classical Sanskrit. I had no idea about the "dAti" form.

Thanks, Au101, for solving the mystery. Had I come across this in a Vedic text (where do- is apparently common), I would definitely take it as an aorist imperative of dA- (to give), and would be at the same time proud of my grasp of Vedic grammar and utterly confused by the (non-)sense. Hopefully, I'll be careful in future. :D

Last edited: