sanskrit: प्रतापत्रान्

MindBoggle

Danish. English from childhood
Reading the Āranyakaparvan of the Mahābhārata I'm stumbling on a word in this sentence:

शृनु पुत्रो यथा जात ऋश्यशृङ्गः प्रतापत्रान्
महाह्रदे महातेजा बालः स्थविरसंमतः

What is प्रतापत्रान्?
पत्रान् seems to be plural accusative of पत्र, but I can't find प्रता in the dictionary (MW or Apte). I thought it might be from the root pṛt (given by Whitney) but there doesn't seem to be a derivation: prata or pratā. Spokensanskrit.de gives pratapatra = parasol, but that doesn't make a lot of sense here and in any case the middle a is wrong. Then I thought there might be an alpha privativum hiding in there, but that didn't solve the problem, and now I've run out of good ideas.

Ignoring the word, I get something like:

Hear in which way the son, Rishyashringa, of whom the splendor is great, of whom there is approbation by old men, was born in a great lake.

- but how does प्रतापत्रान् fit in?

If you have a good suggestion, please enlighten me. :)

Greetings,
MindBoggle

• marrish

اُردو Urdu
    शृणु पुत्रो यथा जात ऋश्यशृङ्गः प्रतापवान् // महाह्रदे महातेजा बालः स्थविरसंमतः

MindBoggle

शृणु

Of course. Typo, sorry.

प्रताप
    वान्

Yes, my copy is bad, the tr might be a v, but even if it is a v, I'm still lost as the problem is प्रता.

Pava means wind in stead of patra which means leaf, so it might be something-wind in stead of something-leaf. But what is the something?

:confused:
    MB

Dib

Bengali (India)
    I am afraid you are a bit off-track there.

It is प्रताप-वान् masc. nom. sing. from the stem प्रतापवत्‌- (in the usual convention) or प्रतापवन्त्‌- (according to the convention in some Western sources) = one who has प्रताप- i.e. powerful.

MindBoggle

I am afraid you are a bit off-track there.

It is प्रताप-वान् masc. nom. sing. from the stem प्रतापवत्‌- (in the usual convention) or प्रतापवन्त्‌- (according to the convention in some Western sources) = one who has प्रताप- i.e. powerful.

Ow.
    Yes, that was a lot off track. Of course the -An may also be the nom. sing. of the at-stem - I completely forgot about that possibility. :( Maybe the reason was that I didn't see the -va (in my manuscript it looks like a -tra). I know to be careful with the -va's. ;)

Thanks again for you help, that was most kind of you. :)

Greetings,
    MindBoggle