Sanskrit: etad vimarse sivasutrajaalam

Gop

Tamil
This is about the arrangement of Sanskrit phonemes in Panini’s Astadhyayi.
The legend of the revelation to Panini of the ‘Maheswara sutras’ that organise Sanskrit phonemes Is described in the following verse:
"नृत्तावसाने नटराजराजो ननाद ढक्कां नवपञ्चवारम्। उद्धर्तुकामः सनकादिसिद्धान् एतद्विमर्शे शिवसूत्रजालम् ॥"
I have not succeeded in figuring out the word for word meaning of the last part of this verse, namely, etad, vimarse, sivasutrajaalam.
Should be grateful for help.:)
Gop

• Dib

Bengali (India)
    How about taking "etad-vimarśe" to mean "in consideration to this"? So, I'd basically take the first three pāda's as one sentence: "नृत्तावसाने नटराजराजो ननाद ढक्कां नवपञ्चवारम् उद्धर्तुकामः सनकादिसिद्धान्।" The last pāda would then draw a conclusion where "शिवसूत्रजालम्" can be loosely another object to ननाद, or simply as a stand-alone sentence: "(and) शिवसूत्रजालम् (exists) in consideration to this".

The word "vimarśe" is a bit difficult to interpret here. I suspect, there is some idiomatic sense that we are missing.

Gop

Tamil
    Dib-ji, thank you for so promptly coming to my help. You have put the finger on the difficulty presented by this pāda. One has to postulate, as you indicate, ‘exists’ to complete the meaning. And vimarśé is indeed difficult to interpret in a straightforward manner. Could ‘etadvimarśé’ have as its antecedent Śiva’s intention expressed in uddhartukaamah? Then could we say ‘in this thought, i.e. of emancipating(?) the Sanakas, the Śivasutrajaalam [came into being]?

• Agree
    Reactions: Dib

Dib

Bengali (India)
    Dib-ji, thank you for so promptly coming to my help.

You are welcome.

One has to postulate, as you indicate, ‘exists’ to complete the meaning.

Yes but it sounds quite natural in Sanskrit, because verbs of existence are often omitted anyway.

Could ‘etadvimarśé’ have as its antecedent Śiva’s intention expressed in uddhartukaamah? Then could we say ‘in this thought, i.e. of emancipating(?) the Sanakas, the Śivasutrajaalam [came into being]?

That is essentially what I was implying as well. Yes.