Sanskrit/Hindi: नगरिन् -गीत

john welch

English-Australian creole
Patna City Anthem पटना नगर-गीत .
I don't speak Sanskrit or Hindi but the possessive for words -a is -in , dropping the -a.
नगरिन् is possessive and I guess in the absence of an object then a person is implied : (person) of a city.
It would not be : city of (a person). Is that the correct explanation?
Then does नगरिन् गीत mean : of a city , song. city's song.
This is only slightly different from city-song but is significant , for example, when comparing "a song of India" with "The Song of India".

Last edited:
  • marrish

اُردو Urdu
    In Sanskrit, to express possessives the genitive case used thus for the neuter noun nagara- it will become nagarasya नगरस्य. Patna City Anthem would be पाटलीपुत्रनगरस्य गीतम् pāṭalīputra-nagarasya gītam.

For Hindi I believe पटना नगर-गीत is allright.

john welch

Good, thanks. So although the stems nagara gita are used it seems that ngurungaeta is a loan-word from Java or Bali :
    nagarane gita. It means the headman of an Aboriginal tribe of Melbourne Australia. Maybe he was the singer or knew the songs about Parampari, Mahaji, Boomi, dhanya, ngarampa and ring balin.

mundiya

Hindi, English, Punjabi
    John, why have you ruled out an indigenous Australian explanation for the word? If you are having difficulty in finding the meaning it could be because tribal names are often very ancient and rooted in obscurity. But an Australian etymology seems most probable to me.

john welch

The last words in #3 are Aboriginal terms for spiritual items. I don't rule out indigenous etymology but the number of complex terms that match Indonesian Hindu culture may be evidence for diffusion. For example, "Nagara" is the Malay -Indonesian term for national and the dharma state government in Bali. Across Australia, ngara /ngurra words have such meanings. Makassan boats from Sulawesi brought about 300 loan-words to north Australia and some Islamic traditions exist there.

john welch

This may connect ngurungaeta with gita:
    "Murrundindi (aka Gary Hunter) is the ngurungaeta of the Wurundjeri people, ...

Murrundindi and brother Warendj regularly conduct cultural education programs in .. schools throughout Melbourne. They visit school regularly and present the diversity of their Aboriginal culture to the children through song, dance, language, and music. ."