Sarcasm?

< Previous | Next >

OeuilDeBiche

French - France
Hello everyone.
I need help to understand this sentence: "To be clear, I mean America has declared war on good food and we are griding it into the dirt."

Thanks for your help :)

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Welcome to WRF,
    to be able to answer your question, we need a source and some context - can you help? :thumbsup:

OeuilDeBiche

French - France
    Thanks for answering.
    This was the sentence before:
    "Just back from Italy. Say what you want about America's War on Drugs, but we are winning the war on food."

I get it wrong, I thought that it meant that American food was better than Italian food...

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "...we are grinding it [good food] into the dirt." = we are contemptuously destroying the idea of good food.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    America has declared war on good food and we are griding it into the dirt.
    "Declaring war on good food" means "doing everything we can to make food bad, and to make good food impossible to get". That is what it means, and she is accusing "America" (the businesses and government agencies) of having this evil purpose in their minds.

Clearly the person who wrote this is an activist. It is a politic statement, made by someone active in the "politics of food". Activists in this area have many, many complaints: about fast food, about packaged cereal, about both government rules (state and federal) and food manufacturer practices.

SHE has a long list of actions she labels "good" and "bad". To her, not doing everything SHE thinks is good, is the same as "trying to make food bad", or "declaring war on good food". This makes sense, once we all agree that she (and only she) is correct.

< Previous | Next >