Sarna con gusto no pica.

themere

Perú, Español
Por favor, alguien me puede decir si existe una expresion similar en ingles para "sarna con gusto no pica" refiriendose a que si te gusto lo que hiciste o lo pasaste bien, no te quejes por las consecuencias.
Muchas gracias, saludos
themere

• Jasiale

Argentina-Spanish
    "If you love scabies, they don't hurt". Esa es una opción que encontré, quizás haya alguna otra.
    Salu2

absent_155

Español. España
    Tambien:

"If you like the scratching then you do not mind the lice"

o

"Doing something you enjoy is never a chore".

Espero que te sirva. Saludos.

marevalous

English
    I know this is outdated, but I have a couple of suggestions to offer.

"If you like scabies, they don't hurt," is a close translation, but it would never be said in English. The answers offered by absent_155 are better, but still awkward and uncommon in English.

The following suggestions are the closest approximations of the Spanish saying I can come up with, and sound much more natural in English:

"If you had a good time, you have nothing to complain about."

OR

"You had fun. What more can you ask?"

They can pretty much be used interchangeably.

Södertjej

Spanish ES/Swedish (utlandssvensk)
    "If you had a good time, you have nothing to complain about."

OR

"You had fun. What more can you ask?"
    But this idiom is not about "having a good time" at all. It simply means something may be tough but if someone has chosen it freely, they won't be suffering from it as someone else would.

YoHeVistoCosas

Español - España
    Again, I know this thread is old, but I would like to make some comments:

In Spanish from Spain (I cannot speak for Peru or for any other Latin American country), "sarna con gusto no pica" does not mean that "si te gustó lo que hiciste o lo pasaste bien, no te quejes por las consecuencias", as themere said. It means that "something may be tough but if someone has chosen it freely, they won't be suffering from it as someone else would", as Södertjej said.

Therefore, I do not think that the idiom "Don't commit the crime if u don't want to do the time" that totxolander has proposed works for Spain (probably it does for Peru, if "sarna con gusto no pica" has there the meaning mentioned by themere).

Any suggestion for an English translation for Castilian Spanish?

The precise meaning of this idiom in Castilian Spanish is very well explained here:

Sarna con gusto no pica

Culturilla

Castellano, España
    This one's a tough one to translate. Where I come from (Spain) we say "Sarna con gusto no pica, pero mortifica".

I think some of the English alternatives provided come quite close but still miss the point. "Sarna con gusto no pica" means that the benefits of doing something outweigh its downsides. However, the downsides are very, very, very big. It basically means doing something which is an ordeal by and in itself.

We used this expression this morning while talking about a friend who spent many years looking for Mr Right until she finally bumped into Mr Right Now. However, Mr Right Now is a very troubled individual: moody, verbally aggressive, controlling, jealous... you know the drill. We were talking about how our friend has been looking miserable ever since the day they moved in together and that, deep down inside, she must be really unhappy. However, she's got what she so desperately wanted: a boyfriend.

That's when we said: "Well... sarna con gusto, no pica".

splurge

Español
    Palos con gusto no hacen daño también significa eso: “don’t commit the crime if you don’t want to do the time!”

Saludos!