...sat on 1.9 boards

< Previous | Next >
  • JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The word board refers back to the "supervisory-board" earlier in the sentence. This covers the category including "Board of directors", "Board of supervisors", "Board of governors" etc, who have supervisory responsibility for managing public compamies. A person who is a member of one board (for a specific company) is often also a member of another board and some people are members of the board of many companies, some of three or four or five such "boards".

j29682896

chinese
    Thank you for your replies.

So" in 2003 the average supervisory-board member at a public company sat on 1.9 boards; now the figure is 1.6." means that a supervisory-member at a public company may be a supervisory-member of 1.6 companies. Am I right?

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    It means that on average, a board member at a public company now sits on the board of 1.6 companies.

An example:

Let's say that last year, you and Keith were each members of the boards of two companies, while Julian and I were each on the boards of three companies.

On average, each of us sat on 2.5 boards. We get that average by dividing ten (the total number of companies) by the four of us.

If both Julian and I resign from the board of one of our respective companies this year, the average comes down to 2 - that's eight companies divided by the four of us.

Last edited:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    This use of statistics reports on the facts of the present situation; it says nothing about what a supervisory-member of a public company may do - that is a question of law.

< Previous | Next >