sate or satisfy?

< Previous | Next >

Jeffsmiles

Vietnamese
Hi guys
I got a little bit confused between the two words.

Still, Chinese citizens are no longer sated simply by economic advancement and have taken to Weibo to express their dissatisfaction.

Can I use the word "satisfy" instead of "sate" in the sentence above?

Thank y'all.

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    I couldn't consider "sated" wrong, but I would use "satisfied".

Last edited:

Jeffsmiles

Vietnamese
    Please tell me why because the sentence is from Time magazine and they used "sated".
    I myself don't think "sate" or "satisfy" is wrong but I want to know which one is best fit the context.
    Thank you a lot.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Still, Chinese citizens are no longer sated simply by economic advancement and have taken to Weibo to express their dissatisfaction. “The appeals made by Jin Zengmin and other Weibo users forces people to face up to water pollution and have attracted more people to join the antipollution campaign,” says Ma Jun, a water expert and founder of the Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs.

Read more: Chinese Take Fight Against Water Pollution to Social Media | TIME.com http://world.time.com/2013/03/06/in...t-dare-swim-in-let-alone-drink/#ixzz2l9srAGFR

I don't know if the link will work, but I tried above.

As mentioned above "sated" isn't wrong, and it just looks like the writers wanted to mix it up, since they use "dissatisfaction" later in the text.

< Previous | Next >