"satisfying"

Alexblond2005

French
Hello,
I'm sorry for my english (I'm french).
For a scientific paper, I search how to name a synthetic and qualitative criteria to define if a surgical procedure is safe, efficient and without complications. I think about "satysfying" procedure, but I'm not sure of that.
Huge thanks for your answers.

• JamesM

I am not in the medical field so I don't know if I can offer anything useful. As a layman I would not be surprised to hear this called a "safe and effective procedure".

gasman

Canada, English
    I search how to name a synthetic and qualitative criteria to define if a surgical procedure is safe, efficient and without complications. I think about "satysfying" procedure,
    I really don't know what you are trying to say when you write "a synthetic" (artificial) and "qualitative criteria". To start "criteria" is a plural of criterion, so you cannot put "a" in front of it. I would suggest, "I am trying to find a suitable term to define a surgical procedure, explaining its comparative safety, (there is no such thing as an absolutely safe surgical procedure), effective and with a lack of complications overall". I don't think "satisfying" is the term of choice-the question would be who is satisfied, the surgeon or the patient? Perhaps you should be looking at "uncomplicated and effective"!

sdgraham

USA English
    Welcome to the forum, Alex.

I'm not in the medical field, but having been at the receiving end of the surgeon's scalpel on a several occasions, I've been told that no surgery is free of risk, but I think gasman has a good suggestion.

As a side note, we capitalize the names of natural languages, e.g. French and German.

And, although it's often misused by native speakers, "criteria" is the plural of "criterion," so you can't say "a criteria."

Alexblond2005

French
    Thank you for these replies.
    I'm sorry for criteria, you can see that my English is poor...
    In my mind, a synthetic criterion is build by addition of others criteria, as long as it is well defined.
    So I note that "satisfying" is not the most appropriate, but it was the shorter I've found.
    Maybe I will call it "synthetic criterion of safety and efficiency" and use an acronym (like SCSE) in the text.

I thank you all, and excuse me, I can't be sure that the previous sentences are correct.

Alexandre

< Previous | Next >