saturated by the “s-word”

< Previous | Next >

colombo-aussie

Spanish - Colombian
Hi all,

Hopefuly someone out there can help me to understand the following sentence. What I understand is that nowadays all the companies are implementing sustainability principles in their businesses and every time is even harder to be recognised for this (as a pioner I guess). Does the "s-word" has to do with the initial letter "s" in the word sustainability?

Environmental, social and economic sustainability is rapidly being accepted by government, community and business leaders, and importantly by our competitors, as a vital part of business. In a market becoming increasingly saturated by the “s-word”, it is not always easy to stand out from the crowd.

Many thanks.

• Copyright

American English
    It is simply another way to refer to a ubiquitous word:
    the S-word: sustainability
    the L-word: love
    the D-word: divorce
    the F-word: I'll let you decipher that. :)

Copyright

American English
    I should mention that many of these X-words are understandable only in the context they're being used, like the S-word. The F-word and possibly the L-word are exceptions... they're more universal.

colombo-aussie

Spanish - Colombian
    Ok got it, but at the end of the day it's the same as if I say:

In a market becoming increasingly saturated by the word “sustainability”, it is not always easy to stand out from the crowd.

Right?

Copyright

American English
    Ok got it, but at the end of the day it's the same as if I say:

In a market becoming increasingly saturated by the word “sustainability”, it is not always easy to stand out from the crowd.

Right?
    It's not quite the same... there's a certain something to using the S-word construction. Ennui, dismissiveness, mild scorn, mild humor, indulgence... something. Plus you're focusing on the concept as well as the word.

If you don't want to use that, you still don't need to be so literal as to say "the word sustainability" -- just the quote marks will suffice:

In a market becoming increasingly saturated by "sustainability”, it is not always easy to stand out from the crowd.

colombo-aussie

Spanish - Colombian
    It's not quite the same... there's a certain something to using the S-word construction. Ennui, dismissiveness, mild scorn, mild humor, indulgence... something. Plus you're focusing on the concept as well as the word.

If you don't want to use that, you still don't need to be so literal as to say "the word sustainability" -- just the quote marks will suffice:

In a market becoming increasingly saturated by "sustainability”, it is not always easy to stand out from the crowd.
    Thank you so much for such an excellent explanation.

< Previous | Next >