Saturday loomed like an unlined page

< Previous | Next >

marta289

croatian
Could someone please explain the following sentence:
I couldn't picture an afternoon alone with Isadora, a woman as relaxing as gridlock, so Saturday loomed like an unlined page.

I understand that she's not happy about spending Saturday with Isadora, but I have no idea what "loomed like an unlined page" means.
In the end, she doesn't even meet with Isadora, so maybe it means their plans were cancelled?
Please help. Thank you :)

• suzi br

English / England
    Hello, and welcome to the forums.
    You need to tell us where you found this, as context can often help us decide on the best answer.

marta289

croatian
    It's from a novel, The Late Lamented Molly Marx by Sally Koslow.
    Here is the situation: Molly is supposed to visit galleries with her friend Brie and Brie's girlfriend Isadora. However, at the last minute Brie cancelled, and since Molly and Isadora aren't very fond of each other, Molly can't picture an afternoon alone with Isadora and "Saturday looms like an unlined page".

Later on, Molly calls another friend and meets with him, and no one mentions the plans she had with Isadora/Brie any more, but it's not specifically said that anyone cancelled them.

I hope this helps. Thank you!

marta289

croatian
    As I understand it, it could mean either:
    a) that Saturay is suddenly "empty" (like unlined page) because meeting with Isadora alone is out of the question
    or
    b) that she is terrified (or at least very uncomfortable) because she has to meet Isadora

I'm not sure which.
    Maybe I got it completely wrong, I've never heard this expression before.

suzi br

English / England
    It sounds as though she decided not to go on her own, so now she has a blank page in her diary, open to other plans. This blank page thing is the way of telling us she cancelled Isidora.
    The names of these characters are putting me off this book! ;)

marta289

croatian
    Hahaha, yes, it's not much of a book, I don't like it either, but I needed to understand the meaning of this sentence.
    Thank you! :)

Wordnip

British English
    It sounds as if it is a really poorly written novel! After all, an unlined page is not much fuller than a blank page and it is hard to imagine a day looming like any sort of page because pages do not loom. And a woman as relaxing as gridlock?

suzi br

English / England
    Hahaha, yes, it's not much of a book, I don't like it either, but I needed to understand the meaning of this sentence.
    Thank you! :)
    Yes, all of this is very poor. You might need to understand it, but it is certainly not clearly / well written

< Previous | Next >