Saucer of milk, table two.

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Austin: I shagged her rotten, baby! Yeah!
Vanessa: I don't believe you, Austin. She was repellent.
Austin: Saucer of milk, table two.
Vanessa: But did you use protection?
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, film

What does it mean, please?
Thanks.

• Chez

English English
    I don't think it can mean anything except literally that the people on table 2 want a saucer of milk. Are they in a cafe/restaurant? Is Vanessa a waitress?

It has no slang/colloquial/hidden meaning that I'm aware of.

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    Powers is remarking obliquely that Vanessa has made a catty remark by requesting something cats like: a saucer of milk.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Actually Vanessa's being jealous here. I think he's teasing her, implying that when she's jealous and acts like that she looks like a sulky cat, right?

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    One question, does the dictionary meaning of "catty" have anything to do with cats indeed, or is it just a pun made by Austin?

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    One question, does the dictionary meaning of "catty" have anything to do with cats indeed, or is it just a pun made by Austin?
    It's not a pun. Catty originated at a time when some people thought that when women fought with each other, it resembled a cat fight. A woman who says something mean about another woman is sometimes described as being catty. Cats like milk. Requesting a saucer of milk after a woman says something mean about another woman is a way to say you think she's acting catty. That's the extent of the joke.

< Previous | Next >