Saudi Arabia: ضمان مالي

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
Hello,

I'm looking for a translation (French or English) for the expression ضمان مالي. I see what it conveys but I can't find a right equivalent and it seems to be peculiar to Saudi Arabia (according to Google results) and linked to college life. Here is an instance:

قام المشرف باعطائهما الضمان المالي وبيانات الاتصال وكل ما يحتاجانه من معلومات تهمهم في بداية حياتهما الدراسية وارتباطها بالملحقية

As an attempt: Leurs tuteurs leur donnèrent الضمان المالي, une liste de contacts et toutes les informations dont ils auront besoin pour débuter leur vie d'étudiants aux côtés de la mission culturelle.

(Their tutors provided them with الضمان المالي, a list of contacts and all the informations they will need to start their student life at the side of the cultural mission).

For ضمان مالي, I thought about:

-La bourse d'étude (the grant)
-La somme d'argent fournie par la mission culturelle (the amount of money provided by the Saudi cultural mission).
-Frais de scolarité (college fee) but I think I would be wrong with this one.

Thank you.

• analeeh

English - UK
    It seems to refer literally to a document confirming to foreign universities that the Saudi government will pay the student's university fees and health insurance:

الضمان المالي وثيقة رسمية تصدرها الملحقية الثقافية السعودية (قسم الشؤون الدراسية) في استراليا لتؤكد للجامعات والمعاهد المعتمدة بالاستعداد لدفع كامل الرسوم الدراسية المتضمنة للتأمين الطبي للطلاب السعوديين المبتعثين او الملحقين بالبعثة.

I agree that in English at least (and I assume in French) no obvious equivalent document exists and it's difficult to come up with a short two or three word name that would clearly express the meaning of the Arabic. I would suggest paraphrasing. I think I would go simply with 'documents confirming that the Saudi government would pay all of their fees', though you might be able to think of something snappier than that. Your suggestions suggest that they were literally given a sum of money, which I think would be inaccurate here.

Hemza

@analeeh I apologise and I thank you. I should have done what you've done: checking out its meaning would have helped me much more than trying to guess a possible translation.

I think I would go simply with 'documents confirming that the Saudi government would pay all of their fees', though you might be able to think of something snappier than that. Your suggestions suggest that they were literally given a sum of money, which I think would be inaccurate here.
    Indeed it is too broad to cover this peculiar case.

Thanks for the other members for their input. I may paraphrase it but I must shortcut it first.

@Zemranimou @ayed : "financial guarantee" is too general and would be hard to get on the spot, nevertheless thank you for your attempt.

Last edited:

Abu Talha

Urdu
    How about "Affidavit of support" or "affidavit of financial support"? This is a term used by universities in the US for international students admissions.

Hemza

The issue is that the translation shall be in French and in French, this expression is strongly related to law and not something else and not very well known (ouf, glad I studied law for some times).

< Previous | Next >