sausage fest

Dymn

Hi all!

What do you call, in a disparaging tone, an event or situation where all or nearly all of its participants are male?

In Spain Spanish it's: campo de nabos ("field of turnips")

And in Portugal Portuguese I think it is: festa da mangueira ("party of the hose")

All of these expressions with phallic references. What about your language and country?

• merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    Diaparaging in what way? gay? excluding women?

Boys' night out / Bros' night out - usually positive, I guess, but it's only really disparaging if women criticize it.
    Bro down - maybe disparaging because guys together may get up to mischief: alcohol abuse, debauchery, profanity, women bashing, sloppiness, excessive sports etc.

Dymn

It usually has negative connotations because heterosexual men like to have a bit of female company in social gatherings. More recently it may be adopted by feminists to criticize situations where they perceive there's a lack of women (managerial boards, expert panels, international summits, etc.).

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    It usually has negative connotations because heterosexual men like to have a bit of female company in social gatherings. More recently it may be adopted by feminists to criticize situations where they perceive there's a lack of women (managerial boards, expert panels, international summits, etc.).
    In the first case you could say this is bros only. In the second case a feminist might say it's an old boys' club, the old boy network. These are negative expressions deploring the lack of women, but they are established, not particularly colorful or slangy. I don't think anyone would feel offended.

apmoy70

Greek
    In Greek we say that "it stinks like rut" («βρωμάει βαρβατίλα*» [vrɔˈma.i var.vaˈti.la]) or (milder) «ανδροπαρέα**» [an.ðrɔ.paˈɾe.a] --> guy's band

*«Βαρβατίλα» [var.vaˈti.la] (fem.) is a Late Byzantine noun describing the period of the year during which particular male animals are ready to breed, especially rams or billy goats (and the specific odour they emit during breeding season). It derives from the Latin barba (beard) + Byzantine Greek feminine productive suffix «-ίλα» -íla which when added to a noun or adjective, indicates a bad smell or taste.

**A MoGr compound of the combinatory «ανδρο-» [an.ðrɔ-] of MoGr noun «άνδρας» [ˈan.ðras] (masc.) --> man, male human being < accusative of Classical 3rd declension masc. noun «ἀνήρ» ănḗr (nom. sing.), «ἀνδρός» ăndrós (gen. sing.) + MoGr fem. «παρέα» [paˈɾe.a] --> gang, band, group of friends < Judaeo-Spanish parea < Sp. pareja.

Awwal12

Russian
    It usually has negative connotations because heterosexual men like to have a bit of female company in social gatherings.
    Strange. A company of women is pleasant, okay, but with women around you are also expected to restrain yourself more (no discussing women, no drinking like a pig etc. :)). I am not quite sure if Russian has some stable special term.

< Previous | Next >