save images in (the/-) PDF, PNG and JPEG formats

atakeris

Latvian
Hello,

Case: save images in (the/-) PDF, PNG and JPEG formats.

Should I use the definite article here?

• atakeris

Latvian
    You can buy apples in boxes and bushels and crates. Same thing.

A bit different because I'm describing what are PDF, PNG... in the end of the sentence. They are formats, in which you can save an image. If i wrote like that "You can save images in PNG, PDF, I wouldn't doubt on whether or not an article is necessary. In my case, I though I should use it. If not, can you explain me please the logic that I could apply it to other cases.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Because that's the way I've always seen it used and use it ... I can't tell you more than that, I'm afraid. Perhaps someone else can.

You can buy apples in small, medium and large boxes. I don't see a big difference.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I recommend that you understand "the" not as "making something specific" but in the manner of the word's origin. "The" is a demonstrative adjective, very similar to "that" and means something like, "That which we know."

However, in your case, you have confused yourself and "the" would never go into the sentence "Save images in PDF, PNG and JPEG formats."

The singular of that sentence is "Save images in a PDF, PNG and JPEG format." -> when you create the plural, the a disappears.

Consider:

"Buy clothes cut from a cotton or wool material."
    "Buy clothes cut from cotton or wool materials."

PDF, PNG and JPG are acting as adjectives but are capable of being noun phrases in their own right.

atakeris

Latvian
    I recommend that you understand "the" not as "making something specific" but in the manner of the word's origin. "The" is a demonstrative adjective, very similar to "that" and means something like, "That which we know."

However, in your case, you have confused yourself and "the" would never go into the sentence "Save images in PDF, PNG and JPEG formats."

The singular of that sentence is "Save images in a PDF, PNG and JPEG format." -> when you create the plural, the a disappears.

Consider:

"Buy clothes cut from a cotton or wool material."
    "Buy clothes cut from cotton or wool materials."

PDF, PNG and JPG are acting as adjectives but are capable of being noun phrases in their own right.

Thanks PaulQ.

Why then "the car industry" in which, as I understand" the "car" acts as an adjective, we usually put the definite article, if we are talking about the whole card industry in the world.

Forero

I would use "the" with the plural "formats": "save images in the PDF, PNG, and JPEG formats", but: "save images in PDF, PNG, and JPEG format."

I might also say "save images in a PDF format", either thinking that there is more than one format known as "PDF", or assuming the other person is unfamiliar with PDFs.

These things are capitalized because they are like proper names. I might also say "give the x-rays to the Drs. Jones" but "give the x-rays to Dr. Jones and Dr. Smith", and I might say "I gave the x-rays to a Dr. Smith", either thinking there was more than one Dr. Smith where I was or assuming the other person is unfamiliar with Dr. Smith.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I wondered why I was confused, there are two threads that are essentially the same:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2993031 - save images in (the/-) PDF, PNG and JPEG formats

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2993077 - (the/-) PDF format.

I will ask a mod to combine them.

In the other thread, I said, "But you also know that adjectivally qualified, weakly uncountable nouns may (or may not) have a, the, (or other determiner) before them: "I gave him a/the different sugar." -> "I gave him different sugar.""