Save scrapping over it after you pass?

< Previous | Next >

Mefun

Vietnamese
Hi guys, I'm watching a Netflix movie called The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. There was a cowboy who had robbed a bank. He was sentenced to death later. One of the judges asked him if he could take his horse or not and the other judge told him that " You wanna give one of these boys your horse? Save scrapping over it after you pass?" I don't know what "scrapping over it" means, can someone explain it to me? Thank a lot.

• Flooooooooor

English - USA
    "To scrap" has a few different meanings, but when it means "to fight" like above, it gives me the image of a type of fighting that is relatively low-stakes, probably where two people are using their hands/fists as opposed to weapons, and maybe even tussling on the ground.

I think this is related to the adjective "scrappy" which you can use to describe someone as formidable in fights and pretty aggressive or assertive in terms of starting them, despite maybe being on the smaller side physically. (I think it would sound very weird to call the Incredible Hulk "scrappy". On the other hand, the small but pugnacious dog Scrappy Doo from the Scooby Doo cartoons is a great example!)

< Previous | Next >