savoir à l'avance

mademoiselle

french
Hi everybody,

I would like to traduce in English "savoir à l'avance" something , meaning knowing something will happen before it happens. (I hope to be clear...). Is it " know in advance"? There is a translation more casual?

• pyan

English, UK, London
    The order below is roughly most formal to least formal.
    "To prophesy", "to predict", "to foretell", "to foresee" and "to know something in advance" all have related meanings. "Prophesy," "predict" and "foretell" all imply that the information is shared. Different words would be used in different contexts.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    to know something in advance (factual--receive information early)
    to foresee something (or to predict)--"foreknow" is not a word I have ever heard
    to have a premonition about something (paraknowledge)
    to have a déjà-vu experience--have the feeling you have already experienced or know what is happening beforehand

manchesterben

English native, french student

For a better traduction of ‘savoir à l’avance’ you could give some context. By the way foreknow is most certainly a word in the English language, albeit very rarely used. In English you can prefix almost any verb of feeling or sentiment with ‘fore-’. You can say forehear, foresee, forelook, forejudge, foreknow, foreordain, fore-say etc… All deal with abstractions, not concrete actions ; you clearly can’t foremake something or foredo.

All these words are definitely out-dated, perhaps with the exception of foresee, though can be used for stylistic effect with this in mind.

For me however ‘savoir à l’avance’ has nothing of these old words, and is more just ‘to know something beforehand’.

< Previous | Next >