say goodbye to money

Marinka

French - France
Hi,

Is "say goodbye to money" an expression in English? If so, what does it mean?

To Japanese, saying goodbye to money was meant to be taken negatively. But Youki, a 23-year old university student from Chiba, perceived it from a different perspective.
“I think there is a positive implication. Our economic activity has been too big and out of control. Plus, ever since when I was small, I felt like I was surrounded by an excess of everything.”

Thanks

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello Marinka.

In English to "say goodbye to [something]" usually means to be prepared to lose it, or to give up hope of having it.

It's difficult to know what saying goodbye to money means in this context without more information. What is being discussed? Is the topic economic difficulties people are experiencing? Or is it something else?

Marinka

French - France
    Hi Cagey,

The text actually discusses the fact that many Japanese now give more importance to environment, volunteering, social commitment, etc. than to money.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Usually, we "say goodbye to something" when we have lost our chance for it, or because we have decided that something else is more important. It seems a little strange to me to use it by itself to mean "stop thinking it is important", which seems to be the case here.

However, it is quite possible that with the complete context this use would seem more familiar. (We have a limit of four sentences for quotation from any one source, so I am not asking for more quoted material.)

By the way, you should name the source of any quotation. ;)

quillerbee

Canadian English
    Cagey is right, saying goodbye usually means losing something.

When you have kids, you can say goodbye to your free time.

In this context, the choices that people make might be better described as "turning away from money", "looking beyond money", or "finding life after money".

< Previous | Next >