Say hello

810senior

Japanese
How do you say when you are going to ask someone to send regards to someone else?
Thanks in advance!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In English:
Say hello (to)
Say hi (to)

In French:
Passer le bonjour (a) : to pass the good day(hello) to

In Japanese:
(に)よろしく言う : to say it pleasantly (to)
(ni) yoroshiku iu

• In Greek:

«Χαιρετίσματα στον/στην/στους» [çeɾeˈtizmata ston] --> greetings to (for male recipient), [çeɾeˈtizmata stin] --> greetings to (for female recipient), [çeɾeˈtizmata stus] --> greetings to (more than one recipients)

MoGr «χαιρέτισμα» [çeˈɾetizma] (neut. nom. sing.), «χαιρετίσματα» [çeɾeˈtizmata] (neut. nom. pl.) --> greeting, salutation < Byz. deverbal neut. noun «χαιρέτισμα» khairétisma (same meanings) < Classical v. «χαίρω» kʰaírō --> to rejoice (PIE *ǵʰer(H)-, to desire, enjoy cf Skt. हर्यति (haryati), to long for, like)

ger4

German
    In German: [1] = informal [2] = formal

[1] Grüß(e) ... [lit. greet] imperative, 2nd person singular
    [2] Grüßen Sie ... [lit. greet you] imperative, 3rd person plural + polite form of 'you' *

The name of the person 'to be greeted' (the 'recipient of the greetings') is in the accusative.

* unlike French, the polite form of address is not the 2nd person plural but the 3rd person pl.

810senior

Japanese
    In Greek:
    «Χαιρετίσματα στον/στην/στους» [çeɾeˈtizmata ston] [...]

Thank you for reply and let me ask you a question.
    Can "Χαιρετίσματα" be used in both daily and formal speech?

In Japanese, we can just by adding some additional particles in reference to the courteousness.

e.g.
    [colloquial]太郎くんによろしく言っといてね。 tarou kun ni yoroshiku ittoite ne, trans. say hello to Taro.
    [formal]太郎さんによろしく言っておいてください。 tarou san ni yoroshiku itte oite kudasai trans. please say hello to Mr.Taro.

ger4

German
    In Greek:
    «Χαιρετίσματα στον/στην/στους» [çeɾeˈtizmata ston] --> greetings to (for male recipient), [çeɾeˈtizmata stin] --> greetings to (for female recipient), [çeɾeˈtizmata stus] --> greetings to (more than one recipients)
    That reminds me... in German, a similar (but shortened) construction is possible:
    Grüße an... [lit. greetings to...] followed by the name of the recipient (in the accusative).

Sudani

Arabic - MSA, Arabic - Sudanese, English
    In Arabic: ......... سلم لي علي (sallim li ala.......) meaning say hello to ..... for me
    or a more formal way is .......بلغ تحياتي ل (balligh tahiati li.....) meaning send my regards to .....

marco_2

Polish
    In Polish we normally say: Pozdrów (ode mnie / od nas) rodziców. (Say hello to your parents /from me / from us/). More formally: Przekaż pozdrowienia + Dative, e.g. swoim rodzicom = give / transmit greetings to your parents.

涼宮

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    In Spanish it is:

Mandarle saludos a alguien de parte de uno lit. to send greetings/regards to someone from one's part.

Manuel: ¡Mándale saludos a tu mamá! ''Send regards to your mom!''

Mami, saludos de parte de Manuel. ''Mom, greetings from Manuel's part''
    Mami, saludos de Manuel. ''Mom, greetings from Manuel''
    Mami, Manuel te manda saludos. ''Mom, Manuel sends his regards''.

Encolpius

Hungarian
    Hungarian

Üdvözletem a... [lit: my greet to]
    Adja át üdvözletem a.. [lit.: give my regards to..formal version] Add át üdvözletem a (informal version)
    Kézcsókom a... [lit.: my hand kiss to...] I wonder it exist(es) in Austria as well... --- the most bizarre one (but now might be old-fashioned)

Armas

Finnish
    In Finnish

Kerro terveiset/terveisiä ...:lle.

kerro = tell
    terveisiä, terveiset, derived from terve = healthy, which is used as a greeting "Terve!"
    ...:lle = to ...

ger4

German
    Another German version (but a relatively formal one): Richten Sie ihm/ihr schöne Grüße aus!
    richten ... aus < ausrichten: to deliver* | ihm/ihr: to him/to her (dative, indirect object case) | schöne Grüße: beautiful greetings

* Edit: only in contexts like 'delivering a message'

Last edited: