saying website addresses (URLs)

< Previous | Next >

JerryLCC

Chinese
Hello,

I just have a question that how to read a website in English. Such as, www.google.com, do we have to read w-w-w dot google dot com. or any other way to read www.

Futhermore, if the website is end with gov, or edu, do we just need to pronounce the whole word like: government and education or any other way to read it.

thanks you very much

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Copyright

American English
    I say it just the way you say it: w-w-w dot google dot com

com, net, org, edu, info and others are pronounced as words -- the only reason to spell them out is if someone doesn't understand the word you've just said, then you can say e-d-u, for example.

We do not say "education" for edu (we say ed-you). Or "government" for gov (we say guv).

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, JerryLCC. I think you have the write idea about how to read "www dot google dot com". I read other websites the same way and don't say "government" or "education". Instead, I say "www dot (website) dot "edu" or dot "gov". These last two abbreviations sound like "ejoo" and "guv". If the website name is "English for Everybody", I read it this way: www dot "English for Everybody" dot edu.

Other members may have different suggestions, so maybe you should collect a few opinions.

PS Copyright seems to read these things the same way I do. :)

JerryLCC

Chinese
    Hello, copyright, happy to see you there, and there is one thing i forget to ask, what about the country abbreviations, such as, www.google.com.hk (us/uk/jp), do i just spell the letters? or pronounce the whole word?

Thank you

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Sometimes it depends how familiar you think people are with the convention. In the UK, Japan, India, for example, company website addresses use co rather than com. I would usually say co as a word. Therefore bbc.co.uk is bee-bee-see dot co dot you-kay. But if I'm talking to someone who is unfamiliar with this, I might spell it out see-oh.

Same thing for country. If the abbreviation can't be pronounced (like sg for Singapore), you'll be forced to spell it out (ess-jee). If it can my pronounced (like my for Malaysia), it is often said like a word (like the possessive pronoun my​). But if you think someone isn't familiar with Malaysia, you might well want to spell it out (emm-wye).

< Previous | Next >