Sbattere i piedi

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Paulfromitaly, Sep 27, 2007.

  1. Paulfromitaly

    Paulfromitaly MODerator

    Brescia (Italy)
    Hello folk,

    In Italian we call "sbattere i piedi" the movement that someone is supposed to do with their legs when they are swimming free-style for example.
    I'd be tempted to translate it as "to flap your feet", but I've found it translated as "to kick your feet" in an American film.
    Is that the usual way to say it?

  2. sunkitty Senior Member

    USA English
    This is the most common. There is also the noun "flutter kick". You can do a flutter kick while you swim freestyle.
    "Flap" sounds to me like something disorganized, flailing, etc. Not something you would do when swimming properly.
  3. Paulfromitaly

    Paulfromitaly MODerator

    Brescia (Italy)
    Alright, thanks.
  4. Einstein

    Einstein Senior Member

    Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    "Flap" is appropriate for wings, not feet.

Share This Page