sb's mask slips

• VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Esteruquiña said:
    Hello, I know the meaning but I would like to have a sentence to see how it is used. Thank you
    I'm actually not completely sure what this refers to. Can you try to elaborate on its meaning, Ester?

Esteruquiña

España - Español/ Inglés
    VenusEnvy said:
    I'm actually not completely sure what this refers to. Can you try to elaborate on its meaning, Ester?
    Sure, if sb's mask slips, they do sth that shows their real character when they have been pretending to be nicer before.

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Esteruquiña said:
    Sure, if sb's mask slips, they do sth that shows their real character when they have been pretending to be nicer before.
    I can infer the meaning, and I can understand it being used in literature. However, I have never heard anyone use it, personally.

Nick

USA, English
    VenusEnvy said:
    I can infer the meaning, and I can understand it being used in literature. However, I have never heard anyone use it, personally.
    This is what I meant to say, te_gato. I understand it (now), but had never read or heard it.

VenusEnvy said:
    I am going to steal this phrase from you, and use it generously! :D
    A choice phrase indeed. :)

JULIBANANA

UK English
    Yes, I've heard the phrase used many times. It means when someone reveals their true self/personality whereas before they had been making a good/false impression. ANother idiom in English which means the same thing is to 'show one's true colours'
    Example.
    I thought he was nice, but last night he showed his true colours.

edward_mao

China-Chinese
    garryknight said:
    "When he saw how Carlo was looking at his wife, his mask slipped just for a second and a brief look of rage flicked across his face."
    :D Thank you, garryknight, though I knew nothing about the phrase before, now I totally understand it. And I think there is a Chinese idiom just has the same meaning-"原形毕露". So I can have a deeper impression;)

< Previous | Next >