Scarf Twisted Around her Neck

< Previous | Next >

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
If you just hear somebody say 'I've just twisted a scarf around my neck,' what exactly do you think she has done? Is the muffler flatly around her neck now? Can it be both ends are twined together? You wouldn't call it twisted if it is just wrapped around her neck, would you?

There is no specific context to this, but let's say she is about to go out in winter, and getting ready.

Thanks,

Hiro

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    I would think she is trying to strangle herself. There are only 24 instances of "scarf twisted around her neck" in a Google search -- half seem to be about an innocent scarf, three were about Girl Scouts (they fold their scarves or kerchiefs over a few times before putting them around their necks) and the rest were victims. I wouldn't use the term myself unless I were writing a crime novel. I wrap my scarf around my neck and I would imagine that anyone who used twisted in a fashion sense probably means the same thing.

Harry Batt

USA English
    Hi HSS. Did you find this in some context such as a book or play, or is it just a phrase that you are using to illustrate your question? It would help to know the context.

If it is merely your suggestion that she is ready to go outdoors in winter I believe that she would not fit a twisted scarf around her neck. I live in a very frigid climate and people here fold, not twist, their scarves.

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    I just think I've heard that said somewhere, but can't remember it too well. But it was said right before she/he was going out in a cold weather. I wondered if you 'twist' a scarf. I was thinking, as Copyright said, you'd normally wrap it around your neck.

< Previous | Next >