Scarica elettrica (metafora)

MayaRomin

Italiano
Buon giorno,
Vi chiedo cortesemente un aiuto nel tradurre "scarica elettrica" in senso metaforico.
La frase è la seguente: "Al contatto, provo una scarica elettrica, mista ad una sensazione di morbidezza".
Il contesto: due persone (che provano una chiara attrazione reciproca) si sfiorano casualmente con le labbra durante un innocente bacio sulle guance e una delle due prova, appunto, le sensazioni sopra descritte.
Il mio tentativo di traduzione: "At that contact, I feel a flashover mixed with a feeling of softness". Non sono certa che flashover sia il termine corretto per questo contesto.
Vi ringrazio molto e auguro a tutti una buona domenica.
MR

• MayaRomin

Italiano
    Thank you, Nadiutta.
    Actually, shock sounds too much to me. She is not shocked but more like she perceived a sudden and intense feeling. Since this is a metaphor, you can actually think of something unrelated to an electric shock (which is too literal) but that gives the same idea of this unexpected and strong "vibration" between the two. I hope I have cleared the sense of the sentence.
    MR

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Metaphorical language to do with "electric shocks" and "electric currents" and "electricity" in general is pretty commonly used in English to describe sensations of this kind. I don't think a native speaker would perceive it as too strong. My try at a rather loose translation would be The contact was like an electric shock, together with a feeling of softness.

Tellure

Italian
    Metaphorical language to do with "electric shocks" and "electric currents" and "electricity" in general is pretty commonly used in English to describe sensations of this kind. I don't think a native speaker would perceive it as too strong. My try at a rather loose translation would be The contact was like an electric shock, together with a feeling of softness.
    Davvero? Bene, buono a sapersi. ;)

MR1492

English -USA
    I agree with theartichoke (again!) and would offer "The contact between them was electric, together with a feeling of softness." In AE, you will sometimes hear things which are exciting as "electric." Just think of that old song "The Electric Slide." The lyrics were:

It's Electric!

You can't see it
    It's electric!
    You gotta feel it
    It's electric!
    Ooh, it's shakin'
    It's electric!

Phil

HotelEcho

English-USA
    It is common, in America anyway, that when two people feel a sudden attraction it is said that there are 'sparks' (come 'candela' di automobile). "the two strangers felt an immediate spark"

MR1492

English -USA
    It is common, in America anyway, that when two people feel a sudden attraction it is said that there are 'sparks' (come 'candela' di automobile). "the two strangers felt an immediate spark"
    I agree. It would seem to me that “spark” is a little milder than “things were electric” and even less than “it was like an electrical shock” in terms of intensity of the feelings.

Just a thought.

Phil

theartichoke

English - Canada
    I agree. It would seem to me that “spark” is a little milder than “things were electric” and even less than “it was like an electrical shock” in terms of intensity of the feelings.
    l
    I agree, but in this particular context, we have to remember we're talking about an actual, physical sensation. Once we get into "sparks" and "things being electric," we're in the realm of emotions rather than sensations. That "electric shock" sensation is caused by attraction, but it's a physical sensation.

HotelEcho

English-USA
    I agree, but in this particular context, we have to remember we're talking about an actual, physical sensation. Once we get into "sparks" and "things being electric," we're in the realm of emotions rather than sensations. That "electric shock" sensation is caused by attraction, but it's a physical sensation.
    She said metaphorical though. Personally I would say there were "butterflies"

penso che alla fine dipenda da quanta passione lei vuole dare alla frase. Shock e' usato per questo tipo di metafora qui in USA. Ma anche sparkle. Personally I would prefer to feel an electric shock! lol

theartichoke

English - Canada
    She said metaphorical though. Personally I would say there were "butterflies"
    If I'm understanding the OP correctly, it's metaphorical in the sense that it wasn't a literal electric shock, like the kind I recently got off my malfunctioning stove. But the character felt a physical sensation on her lips when they touched the other character's lips: part of it was the morbidezza of lips touching lips, and the other part a sensation like an electric shock.

It's the morbidezza (unless that's also metaphorical) that makes me think she's also feeling the scarica elettrica at the point of contact, namely, in her lips; otherwise, it might well be "butterflies," which one feels elsewhere!:)

MayaRomin

Italiano
    Grazie a tutti per i numerosi contributi.
    Ho davvero imparato tanto, ad esempio, come percepiamo diversamente un "electrical shock"! :).
    Ho dimenticato, piuttosto, di specificare che la protagonista è londinese, il testo è in prima persona, quindi è necessario che sia un modo di dire BE e non AE. Detto questo, sono decisamente più a favore di "spark" e “quiver” rispetto ad un electrical shock, proprio perché non amo descrivere emozioni troppo contrastanti (softness vs shock), così come butterflies mi fanno pensare a quello che le donne sentono "nella pancia" quando provano attrazione per qualcuno, ma qui parliamo di labbra e di sensazioni "localizzate" lì.
    Potrebbe quindi essere: "At that contact, I feel an immediate spark/quiver mixed with a feeling of softness". Potrebbe andare da un pdv linguistico?
    Grazie mille ancora.
    MR

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Ho dimenticato, piuttosto, di specificare che la protagonista è londinese, il testo è in prima persona, quindi è necessario che sia un modo di dire BE e non AE.

...butterflies mi fanno pensare a quello che le donne sentono "nella pancia" quando provano attrazione per qualcuno, ma qui parliamo di labbra e di sensazioni "localizzate" lì.
    Potrebbe quindi essere: "At that contact, I feel an immediate spark/quiver mixed with a feeling of softness". Potrebbe andare da un pdv linguistico?
    Unfortunately, all three of the native English speakers who've weighed in on this thread so far happen to be AE, so exactly what a BE speaker would be most likely to say remains to be seen. To this AE speaker, at least, it would be strange to feel a "quiver" in one's lips, unless one is trying to hold back a laugh. If you want to use "spark," I would put it as "a spark of electricity," to distinguish it from the even more metaphorical meaning of "spark" meaning "a feeling of attraction" with no reference to any distinct physical sensation, let alone in the lips.

Tellure

Italian
    What about "thrill"?
    Da Mr. Gilfil's Love Story di George Eliot,
    "electric thrill":

Suddenly a breath of warmth and roses seemed to float towards her, and an arm stole gently round her waist, while a soft hand took up her tiny fingers. Caterina felt an electric thrill, and was motionless for one long moment; then she pushed away the arm and hand, and, turning round, lifted up to the face that hung over her eyes full of tenderness and reproach.

Ma in un passaggio successivo:

Ozzy, roaming about the room in quest of a forbidden pleasure, came to the harpsichord, and struck the handle of his whip on a deep bass note. The vibration rushed through Caterina like an electric shock: it seemed as if at that instant a new soul were entering into her, and filling her with a deeper, more significant life.
    https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=moa&cc=moa&view=text&rgn=main&idno=ADH8163.0001.001

Un riferimento BE anche se un po' datato.

MayaRomin

Italiano
    Grazie veramente a tutti, in particolare a Tellure che mi ha riportato due brani di Eliot molto belli ed "utili" (non direi datati, per fortuna certi sentimenti non hanno tempo!). Electric thrill può essere decisamente un'ottima soluzione!
    MR

Paulfromitaly

Italian
    Just out of curiosity, Paul, is the "electrical" aspect implied or does it have to be stated explicitly? I really can't tell from the definition of scossa in the WR Dictionary.

Phil
    Elettrica is often implied.
    Prendere la scossa elettrica means to get an electric shock, but when "electric" is implied it can be used figuratively.
    Provare una scarica elettrica sounds like something an 8 year old who still has a limited vocabulary would say.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >