Scary Bradshow and a side of potatoes.

amateurr

Russian
Betty and Christina are going by the reception where work Amanda.

Amanda: "Oh, look. Scarry Bradshow and a side of potatoes."

I assume she calls Betty "Scary Bradshow" and Christina "a side of potatoes". I this there's a reason why she calls them like it. Is there any famous person with the last name "Bradshow" or something and "a side of potatoes" a side means a side dish?

• Gwan

New Zealand, English
    I would assume it's based off Carrie Bradshaw, the character played by Sarah Jessica Parker in Sex in the city. As for side of potatoes, I don't watch the show, so I don't know whether this is supposed to physically characterize her in some way, or just suggest she's the sidekick to Betty, or something else.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I know it may be stretching things a little, but one of the other characters in Sex and the City is Charlotte York. Charlotte and Duke of York are potato varieties in the UK. I understand that Charlottes are also grown in the US; I don't know about Duke of Yorks.

se16teddy

English - England
    I know it may be stretching things a little, but one of the other characters in Sex and the City is Charlotte York. Charlotte and Duke of York are potato varieties in the UK. I understand that Charlottes are also grown in the US; I don't know about Duke of Yorks.
    I think that readers of Panjandrum's post should remember that for the Irish the potato is something of a national totem. I fear that the authors of Sex in the City don't expect viewers to analyse to their references to potatoes in such depth.

< Previous | Next >