sceptical+ preposition

unciaciapanca

italian
Honestly, I was a bit sceptical about their educational aim because they seemed to me words in isolation and therefore they might have tended towards a pale ambiguity.

("Their" stands for :eek:f WORD-OF-THE-DAY services)
Is it the correct preposition needed?

Is there any other specific word to explain one's doubts ot being sceptical is fine?

• nesnej

English, Canada
    I would use either sceptical of or sceptical about, both are quite common.a similar expression is "doubtful of" but it doesn't have an identical meaning, I think in your sentence "sceptical about" works great!

JamesM

Just as a note, AE typically spells this word with a k: "skeptical."

[edit] My only question about the sentence is about being skeptical of their educational aim. To me this sounds like you don't believe the intent of the offerings is for educational purposes. The rest of the sentence seems to imply that you think you doubt the usefulness or effectiveness of the offerings, not the intent.

unciaciapanca

italian
    [edit] My only question about the sentence is about being skeptical of their educational aim. To me this sounds like you don't believe the intent of the offerings is for educational purposes. The rest of the sentence seems to imply that you think you doubt the usefulness or effectiveness of the offerings, not the intent.[/QUOTE]

I was sceptical of he usefulness or effectiveness of the offerings.

Maybe I should change the sentence...

What about "of educational effectiveness"?

Honestly, I was a bit sceptical about their educational effectiveness, because they seemed to me words in isolation and therefore tending towards a pale ambiguity.

Last edited:

nesnej

English, Canada
    "they seemed to me words in isolation" seems a bit poetic, but I am still a bit confused about the actual sense of the sentence... so I can't really offer a suggestion. Can you give us a bit of context? What are you skeptical about? What they say they are offering?

unciaciapanca

italian
    When my teacher first presented me these Word-of.the day Web sites(I never new they existed) I trought : Maybe they are useless! (I was sceptical...)
    But my theacher told me to understand if they could have an educational aim.
    That means if users can benefit from using these services ( for an extended period of time).

Is it clearer?

sueca1

USA English
    Honestly, I was a bit sceptical about their educational aim because they seemed to me words in isolation and therefore they might have tended towards a pale ambiguity.

At first I was skeptical about the value of the Word-of-the-Day service because it dealt only with isolated words, but my teacher convinced me/suggested/believed it could be educationally useful.

sueca1

USA English

Sorry- I thought replies 8 and 9 were your original question. "pale ambiguity" really doesn't mean anything to me, so how about:

Honestly, I was somewhat skeptical about the educational value of the Word-of-the-day website because it presented words in isolation, which didn't seem very useful to me.

unciaciapanca

italian
    First part:good!

After comma: I don't want to say I thought there were useless....I mean USELESS is quite strong as a word.

sueca1

USA English
    Except "useful" is not "useless" and it is modified by "not very" which makes it less forceful. What specifically are your objections to the site? What do you mean by "pale ambiguity"?

After comma: I don't want to say I thought there were useless....I mean USELESS is quite strong as a word.[/quote]

< Previous | Next >