Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by smeans2, Dec 10, 2012.

  1. smeans2 New Member

    This German architectural term refers to a type of gothic vaulting with ribbing in, I gather, some sort of circular pattern. I know "gewölbe" means "vault," but I have been unable to find a translation of the full term. Does anyone know an English equivalent? Thanks, Spencer
  2. exgerman Senior Member

    English but my first language was German
    Here's a book that calls it loop rib vault:
    That's just a literal translation

    Schlinge (loop) can lose its -e in compounds
    Rippe (rib) adds an -n in compounds
    Gewölbe vault
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012

Share This Page