School industries

Juan Fernando

Spain, Spanish
Hola:

No sé cómo traducir exactamente esa expresión. Aparece en un texto de 1903. Permitidme que reproduzca estas frases clave, que aparecen tras el título “School Industries”:

«I told the brethren that on no account were the industries that have been started at Healdsburg College to be discontinued. It is of the utmost importance that industrial lines of work shall be carried forward in our schools. The students will find that in genuine muscular exercise there is a great blessing.»

No sé si traducir ahí “industries” por “oficios”, “ramas [de estudios] industriales”… Pero “school industries” me resulta aún más difícil. No creo que pueda valer “escuelas industriales” (creo que en tal caso en inglés más bien sería “Industry school”); quizá “industrias escuela” (en español se usa “granjas escuela”). En fin, a ver si alguien me ayuda…

Saludos.

Last edited:
  • gengo

American English
    I don't see "school industries" in the original text you have provided. But the original seems to be referring to what was called "industrial arts" when I was in school, examples of which include woodworking, metal working, electrical work, engine repair, and so forth. I'll let you decide how to express that idea in Spanish.

Juan Fernando

Spain, Spanish
    ¡Tienes razón!, había olvidado poner que esa expresión (“School Industries”) era el título que precede al párrafo. Ya lo he añadido, como puedes ver…

Muchas gracias por tu explicación. A ver si ahora me puedes ayudar también sobre la expresión del título, por favor.

gengo

American English
    A ver si ahora me puedes ayudar también sobre la expresión del título, por favor.
    I'm not sure about the meaning from 1903, but my guess is that the various classes I mentioned above are being discussed. It is possible that the students even produced things that were sold for the profit of the school, making them small-scale "industries." But basically the writer is saying that these classes are important and should not be cancelled. Sadly, all such classes have been eliminated today from the schools where I live and where my children attend school.

gato radioso

spanish-spain
    I'm not sure about the meaning from 1903, but my guess is that the various classes I mentioned above are being discussed. It is possible that the students even produced things that were sold for the profit of the school, making them small-scale "industries." But basically the writer is saying that these classes are important and should not be cancelled. Sadly, all such classes have been eliminated today from the schools where I live and where my children attend school.
    The usual names for those activities, at least in Spain, used to be:

Trabajos manuales
    Pretecnología

Juan Fernando

Spain, Spanish
    ¡Sí, Escuelas de Artes y Oficios!
    Gracias por recordármelo (aunque la estructura en inglés es diferente, tiene que ir por ahí la cosas…).
    Saludos cordiales.

Juan Fernando

Spain, Spanish
    ¡Sí, Escuelas de Artes y Oficios!
    Gracias por recordármelo (aunque la estructura en inglés es diferente, tiene que ir por ahí la cosa…).
    Saludos cordiales.

< Previous | Next >