Schooling

< Previous | Next >

timebomb

Singapore, English
Hi, folks,

In Singapore, when someone wants to say he is still in school, he would say, "I'm still schooling". I'm not sure if the word is used correctly. As far as I know, only fish school. Am I correct?

• Hi Mr. KL!
    I have heard of people using the word 'schooling' here in the Philippines but only those, so far, who are taking special trainings in their work (eg. Philippine Marines taking additional trainings to add to their skills [and papers!]).
    We usually say "I am still in school" to say that "I have not yet graduated!"
    This, as far as I know.

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    meili said:
    We usually say "I am still in school" to say that "I have not yet graduated!"
    I agree, meili. :thumbsup:

If you want some examples using the word schooling, here you are:
    I have received two years of schooling in the field of massage therapy.
    I am happy to provide you with a grant to continue your schooling at the University of Maryland.

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    I agree with the responses, and would only add that you're right about fish.

But the people you hear "schooling" might be on the cutting edge of language change. Let's face it, there's a tendency in AE to pre-empt almost any word for use as a verb. Things like "parenting is hard" and "I'm gonna network with the concept development team." "No you didn't addy me wrong, I block sendered you."

Is "let's school today instead of malling" far behind? Otherwise I'm gonna have to G.E.D. my way out of this mess-- I was hoping to summer temping for LMNOPCorp, but they won't workforce you unless you diploma.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    There is yet another use of schooling. I'm not sure if it qualifies as a transitive verb, yet, but it seems headed that way.

"I'm home-schooling my children." The notion of home schooling, which may or may not require a hyphen, is that of parents or their agent education kids, instead of sending them to a public or private school.

< Previous | Next >