sciamare

joanvillafane

U.S. English
Hello, everybody. I hope you can help me understand how this word is used in this sentence. I looked up "sciamare" in the WR dictionary and the definition is confusing. It says "swarm" and also "pour."
http://www.wordreference.com/iten/sciamare Neither one of these meanings seems to fit in this context, (email from my cousin who lives in Pinerolo), but I think there is some punctuation missing and that may make it hard for someone like me to read it. I don't know if there's a period after sciamare. Here it is:

"Qua l'estate comincia a sciamare le prime giornate di fresco si sono già avute (10 gradi )la temperatura durante il giorno, spero solo che non incominci a piovere per tutto il mese così posso andare a togliere le patate nel campo in montagna."

I think it means - Here summer is beginning to ???. We've already had the first cool days (10 degrees during the day). I just hope it doesn't rain all month so I can go to harvest the potatoes in the mountains.

Thank you for your help.

• Rival

English - UK
    I looked up "sciamare" in the WR dictionary and the definition is confusing. It says "swarm" and also "pour."
    http://www.wordreference.com/iten/sciamare Neither one of these meanings seems to fit in this context, < ... >

Hi Joan,

I know we changed the discussion to "scemare", but I was still curious about how WR Dictionary could think of "swarm" and "pour" as synonyms, so I asked some of my colleagues.

At first they said "sciamare" can only be "to swarm" in the sense of what bees do, but then one guy pointed out that "sciamare" also has a figurative meaning -- for example the kids can "sciamare" out of school when the bell rings -- in just the same way as our kids 'swarm' out of school.

Aaha!! -- so "sciamare" can be 'pour', but only in the sense of lots of people going in or coming out at the same time (the soldiers 'poured'/'swarmed' over the barricades). My colleagues were adamant that 'sciamare' has absolutely nothing to do with pouring the tea, or pouring with rain -- but we had pretty much understood that in the thread already. :)

< Previous | Next >