Scooty: Do you know the word?

FoolishQuestions

Banned
Nepalese: Nepal
Hello all,
In India, a scooter for women is usually called a scooty. I think the word caught on after a company first named its scooter ... scooty.
I don't think this term is used in the USA or UK, is it? In standard English it seems to be simply a scooter. How do you differentiate between a scooty (one for women) and a scooter?
Thanks.

• Copyright

American English
    If we're talking motor scooter, I've always thought of them as unisex. I've never heard any differentiation and have never heard Scooty, which is sort of cute if your target audience is women.

Last edited:

FoolishQuestions

Banned
    Thanks a lot. Yes, I mean a motor scooter in AE. But I think there is a difference in the built of two scooters, or at least in modern Indian scooters is.

Language Hound

American English
    But I think there is a difference in the built of two scooters, or at least in modern Indian scooters is.
    I googled images of the "Scooty," and it looked like a standard scooter.
    Perhaps you could provide a link to images of the Indian male scooters alongside the female scooters so we can see what you mean.
    In any case, I agree with the others that in the U.S., a scooter is a scooter.
    Unlike bicycles, which are built differently for males and females, scooters here don't come in a male and female version.
    Also, I've never heard "Scooty" until now.

FoolishQuestions

Banned
    Yes, it was probably started by TVS but now all scooters for women are referred to as a scooty, at least by people. Though I'm no auto expert, I think the main difference is that a scooty doesn't have manual gears (and obviously looks cuter as it's for girls and women:oops:).

london calling

UK English
    How odd....I can imagine them marketing pink scooters for women (they certainly market pink cars for woman in Italy, talk about stereotypes:rolleyes:), but manual transmission??? Most of the scooters in Europe these days have automatic transmission and men buy them as well.

Maybe in India they are convinced that women are incapable of dealing with a manual drive scooter????:eek: I have always driven big manual drive cars and SUVs and I myself own a manual drive motorbike (a Gucci California) and my step-daughter rides a manual drive Gucci Monster.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Great, London calling, you are as 'fluent' in driving as in English! :thumbsup: Here in India it's unusual for women to ride motorbikes, that's why scooties target women (though exceptions exist everywhere).

No, Hermione I don't think it has anything to do with a sari.

FoolishQuestions

Banned
    Oh, that's why I didn't get any relevant picture when I googled Gucci Monster. Now I can see Ducati Monster on Google; it's a very stylish and enviable bike.:thumbsup::)

< Previous | Next >