mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
“Scouting began in England in 1907.”
Is the use of “Scouting” correct?
Thanks.

• panjandrum

English-Ireland (top end)
    Perhaps because this harks back to the origins of scouting :)
    Also, because scouting is the activity, "The Scout Association" is the organisation.
    The book Scouting for Boys (1908) is Baden-Powell's rewrite of his earlier military books Reconnaissance and Scouting (1884) and Aids to Scouting for NCO's and Men (1899).
    Source

The Slippery Slide

British English
    I would say "The scout movement", because that is neither the association nor the simple verb (which could be applied to any kind of lookout and is not necessarily connected to boy scouts).

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I would say "The scout movement", because that is neither the association nor the simple verb (which could be applied to any kind of lookout and is not necessarily connected to boy scouts).

You could then say "the scouting movement." Of course, the use of the uppercase S and the context should make "Scouting" by itself amply understandable.

Having long involvement as both a Scout and a Scouter myself, I will tell you that for those in the movement the use of "Scouting" by itself, as in the sample given, is entirely natural and understandable.