scraps of ivory silk, rose-tinged

< Previous | Next >

kyo880418

chinese
"The apples display their milliner’s scraps of ivory silk, rose-tinged."
I came across this sentence in an essay named "Spring" which decribes many flowers:
"The dogwood bud, pale green,is inlaid with russet markings.Within the perfect cup a score of clustered seeds are nestled.One examines the bud in awe:Where were those seeds a month ago?The apples display their milliner's scraps of ivory silk,rose-tinged."

I know this sentence is a metaphor, but i have a question in translating it into another language.

What specific thing does "scrap" refer to in this sentence?
scraps of a silk flower on the hat?
or some silk rippon scrap?
or simply the fabric to be made for the hat?

• Gwan

New Zealand, English
    Normally a 'scrap' is a little piece of something that is no longer needed. After the milliner had finished cutting fabric for a veil or a ribbon or a flower or anything else they might put on a hat, they might have some little bits of fabric left over which are too small to be used on a new hat - those would be the scraps.

kyo880418

chinese
    Normally a 'scrap' is a little piece of something that is no longer needed. After the milliner had finished cutting fabric for a veil or a ribbon or a flower or anything else they might put on a hat, they might have some little bits of fabric left over which are too small to be used on a new hat - those would be the scraps.
    I have a follow-up question.

If the scraps are no longer needed, why does the miliner display them?
    i

Hermione Golightly

British English
    The essay is about spring and the reference is to apple blossom petals. Milliners use silk fabric and ribbon to decorate hats - they often make decorative flowers from the silk. Scraps refers to the left-overs from hatmaking. ('Scraps' can also mean little bits left over from almost anything, especially food.)

If the scraps are no longer needed, why does the miliner display them?
    It is the trees that are displaying the scraps not the milliners -The apples display their milliner's scraps of ivory silk,rose-tinged.

He is comparing the blossom petals with fancy hats
    . It is an image. I don't know why he says apples not apple trees or apple blossom.

:)

Hermione

kyo880418

chinese
    The essay is about spring and the reference is to apple blossom petals. Milliners use silk fabric and ribbon to decorate hats - they often make decorative flowers from the silk. Scraps refers to the left-overs from hatmaking. ('Scraps' can also mean little bits left over from almost anything, especially food.)

It is the trees that are displaying the scraps not the milliners -The apples display their milliner's scraps of ivory silk,rose-tinged.

He is comparing the blossom petals with fancy hats. It is an image. I don't know why he says apples not apple trees or apple blossom.

:)

Hermione

Thank you very much for your generous help!

< Previous | Next >