scream about or at

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hello,

Should I use at or about to go with scream in the following sentence?

This genre of thriller I felt bored was what she would scream about/at.
I prefer about to at. What would you use?

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hello,

Should I use at or about to go with scream in the following sentence?

I prefer about to at. What would you use?
    Since they have two entirely different meanings, I would agree with "about" in this context. By the way, your sentence isn't correct, Kenny ("This genre of thriller I felt bored was what she would scream about/at"). You've missed a connection between you being bored and her loving it. Here's how I would write it:

"The genre of thrill that bored me was what she would scream about"

Do you see the difference? In your sentence, you've said "This genre of thriller..................... I felt bored...........................was what she would scream about". There's no connection between the parts of the sentence.

I've also changed "This" to "The". Unless you're sitting in the roller coaster that bores you and thrills her and turn to the people in the car behind you to talk, you wouldn't say "This".

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    I appreciate your detailed explanation, Dimcl. I also contemplate the difference you referred to but I couldn't see what the difference is. I would think about it more...

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    In my sentence, I think I can reverse it:

What she would scream about was the genre of thriller that I felt bored.
    In your sentence, it can alos be written such as:

What she would scream about was the genre of thriller that bored me.
    I...cannot see the difference.:eek:

Dimcl

Canadian English
    In my sentence, I think I can reverse it:

In your sentence, it can alos be written such as:

I...cannot see the difference.:eek:
    I have to copy and paste your sentences because you put them in the quote boxes, Kenny. Here's your sentence:

"What she would scream about was the genre of thriller that I felt bored."

The part in red is fine. The part in black is not. The part in red could be finished with many different phrases ie:

"What she would scream about was the genre of thriller that all of her friends hated" OR
    "What she would scream about was the genre of thriller that her Mom and Dad didn't want her to watch".

You know I'm not a grammarian so I have to explain it in my own words. The problem with "I felt bored" is that there's no action. You felt bored about it. The only way that you could use "I felt bored" is if the sentence were reworded ie:

"What she would scream about was the genre of thriller that I felt bored about."

This isn't at all satisfactory, though, when you would normally say "that bored me".

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    The problem with "I felt bored" is that there's no action. You felt bored about it. The only way that you could use "I felt bored" is if the sentence were reworded ie:

"What she would scream about was the genre of thriller that I felt bored about."

This isn't at all satisfactory, though, when you would normally say "that bored me".
    I'm grateful for your assistance, Dimcl. Now I've got it.:)

< Previous | Next >