Scrematura del mercato

sbarba

Italia, Italiano
Hi guys,

I'm coming up with a new question which it seems like I can't find the right translation anywhere.
Could anyone help me out with that, please?
Thanks very much indeed as always for your priceless help.
Anto

PS.: for anyone who didn't get what I'm asking for yet, the word that needs to be translated is the one written as thread title.

Just for giving you an example:
  • Facciamo un'analisi generale delle aziende presenti sul mercato con successiva scrematura considerando solo i produttori di cioccolato.
  • Bisogna scremare le aziende presenti in merito alla tipologia di business nella quale operano.

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I wonder about
    "skimming the market"
    "subsequent skimming"
    "One needs to skim..."

In the sense of "selecting the best".
    Does that work in your context?

sbarba

Italia, Italiano
    Hi TimLa,
    of course it could fit with what I was looking for. I knew that skim means "scremare" but I thought it was just related to milk and things like that.
    If you tell me that it's possible using (not sure about "using" - it might be "to use") skim also within a business enviroment as could be my previous example I am quite happy with your answer and I can't help thanking you :).
    Antonio.

Just a quick clarification: why did you write "one needs to skim" and not "it needs to skim"?

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hi TimLa,
    of course it could fit with what I was looking for.
    I knew that skim means "scremare" but I thought it was just related to milk and things like that.
    If you tell me that it's possible using (not sure about "using" - it might be "to use") skim also within a business enviroment as could be my previous example I am quite happy with your answer and I can't help thanking you :).
    Antonio.
    A common phrase in AE is "skim off the top" which means "to be highly selective and only take the best".

Just a quick clarification: why did you write "one needs to skim" and not "it needs to skim"?
    I always have a problem with "bisogna" and "ci vuole".
    There are no perfect translations to English (I think).
    Ci vuole pazienza.
    You need to have patience.
    He needs patience.
    One needs patience.
    All these are reasonable translations, but unless I see a specific reference to "you" "he" "she" "it" then I pick the general form "one".

"Bisognare" and "bisogna" is a similar problem. Unless there is a specific reference to a person or thing, I go with the general "one".

I'm not sure if it's right, but it seems to work most of the time.

sbarba

Italia, Italiano
    Hi TimLa,
    thanks very much indeed for your exhaustive explanation.
    Just a little correction if you don't mind :)
    "Bisognare:cross:" ("avere bisogno" or "necessitare") and "bisogna" is a similar problem. Unless there is a specific reference to a person or thing, I go with the general "one".

Antonio

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hi TimLa,
    thanks very much indeed for your exhaustive explanation.
    Just a little correction if you don't mind :)
    "Bisognare:cross:" ("avere bisogno" or "necessitare") and "bisogna" is a similar problem. Unless there is a specific reference to a person or thing, I go with the general "one".

Antonio

Thanks VERY much!:D

But that's the problem - "bisognare" as a verb does exist in Italian, but it apparently should only be used as "bisogna".:D

sbarba

Italia, Italiano
    Yeah, "bisognare" is not even a word, that's why we say "aver bisogno".
    If you want it to be a verb you need to use the verb "avere" and it turns to be: io ho bisogno.
    Anyway, don't forget that you can always use "necessitare" in exchange of it.
    The meaning is pretty much the same