script/screenplay

yael ariel

Spanish/Catalan
Hi everyone,

I just wonder if I really understood well the difference between "script" an "screenplay", since both words are given as translation for "guion" in Spanish and I need to know wich one I should use depending on the context.

Is the script just the text while the screenplay includes descriptions of scenes and directions for the camera? Would be the first one for the actors and the second one for the director and the "technical crew"?

I thank you in advance for your help,
Y.A.

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    I can't answer your question with any degree of professional certainty, but I believe you've got it right—although I wouldn't be surprised to find some stage directions in a "script."

jónico

en-us
    A screenplay is a script written specifically for making a film or TV show, often based on previously published material (a best-selling novel, a theatrical play, etc), as opposed to a script for other types of performances and events (plays, musicals, pre-written dialogs and instructions for conferences, etc.).

yael ariel

Spanish/Catalan
    Thanks for your contribution, jonico...

but as far as I know script is also being used for film scripts...maybe there is some native speaker film expert who could help us?

yael ariel

Spanish/Catalan
    Thank you very much, aurilla, for the links...really helpfull!

My thanks also to cyberpedant and jonico for their time and help yesterday.

Have a great day!