scrupulous verification

< Previous | Next >

powerhousebridge

Malayalam
Can we use the word 'scrupulous'in the following way
The estimate should be scrupulously verified before the preparation of the same.

• e2efour

UK English
    It can be used like this, but it seems a bit OTT (over the top).
    I would prefer carefully verified, although I would always expect care to be taken when verifying something.

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Although grammatically there is nothing wrong with "The estimate should be scrupulously verified before the preparation of the same." I agree with e2efour - the language is far from idiomatic in current English: it is very much the language of the Indian Civil Service and seems to have been fossilised in the mid-19th century.:
    "Before it is prepared, the estimate should be carefully verified."

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It still doesn't make sense. Surely it should be verified (in the sense of checked) after it has been prepared, but before it is submitted to the customer.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I suspect that the figures/times/conditions need to be verified before the actual estimate is prepared for publication.

powerhousebridge

Malayalam
    What I meant to express is that, The ground realities should be carefully verified before the preparation of estimates.

powerhousebridge

Malayalam
    Estimate is for the constrution of a road . So a thorough study should be needed about the land and other requirements of that area.

< Previous | Next >