scurry

< Previous | Next >

basquiat

Romania, Romanian
Hello,

I need help please with the onomatopoeic form of the verb "scurry", or any other suggestion to describe the quick move, jump of a animal . The context is "the rabbit "scurried" to the left or to the right".

Thank you.

• Loob

English UK
    What help do you need, basquiat? Here's the WR dictionary definition, which includes some alternatives.

basquiat

Romania, Romanian
    Thanks Loob,

It seems I did not make myself very clear. I do not need the verb but an onomatopeic form expressing rather the sound than the verb made by a scared rabbit running :)
    Thanks anyway

cirrus

UK English
    Scurry is almost onomatapaeic. I am struggling to think of a word that would work: Rabbits don't make that much noise when they run.

ewie

English English
    How about sksksksks? Though that sounds to me like a rabbit with very long claws [see Cirrus #4 above].

Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    If you don't need the meaning of hurrying rapidly away in your word and are interested in only the sound quality, how about the word 'rustle'?

Orange Blossom

cirrus

UK English
    Rustling, for me, wouldn't work - it's not urgent enough. I think of leaves on trees rustling or the sound of someone rooting about in a paper bag.

Thinking about it, the problem with this thread is that rabbits are more often seen then heard. What is the sound of a running rabbit is like? I've seen thousands running but I've never been close enough hear them properly. Normally the only time you get up close to them they are by their holes or the other side of a river - you can't get at them easily. If they aren't happy with you being around, they just pop back underground.

Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    What the rabbit sounds like when he 'runs,' or rather bounds off depends largely on where he is bounding. I came up with rustle because I live in the forest, and I assure you when I hear them take off through the underbrush rustling is what I hear, I suspect because of the large number of leaves.

The other sound I hear is the warning "thump, thump, thump, thump" sound they make when they think danger is near.

Orange Blossom

basquiat

Romania, Romanian
    The fact is that the term I needed was that describing an urgent, sudden, hurrying move.
    I like this "thump, thump, thump" a lot. I am a little bit upset because I had to deliver my translation without it:( . However, my onomatopeic vocabulary enriched
    Thanks.
    Basquiat

Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    Just for the record, when a rabbit does the 'thump, thump, thump, thump' he isn't going anywhere. Instead his hind (back) foot is moving rapidly up and down. By the way, that is the why the rabbit in Disney's movie Bambi is called Thumper.

Orange Blossom

< Previous | Next >